How do I adjust the bonnet?

Jon White

Ok........stupid question time!

The bonnet on my 95 classic lines up fine on the passenger side, but is too high at the back on the drivers side! I've looked at it and fiddled with the bolts that hold the hinges to the bonnet, but I cant improve things. Is there any adjustment on where the hinges bolt onto the bulkhead?

If not how do i adjust this?

Thanks

Jon

Jon,

The bonnet hinges normally have a collection of shims between them and the bonnet. (They are basically slotted washers so you don't have to take the bolt right out to get the shim out)

It should be a case of simply adjusting the number of shims.... but I am guessing that you haven't got any..... in which case you will need to take the decker panel off which is a pain as the bonnet needs to come off and you will have sprung loaded hinges........

I think once the bodywork is out of the way that the hinges can be adjusted on their mounts. I won't however guarantee it! :lol:

Thanks Bish.

there are definately no shims between the bonnet and hinge. I'll have a fiddle tonight and see. I really wish i looked at it when i took the decker panel off the other day to fix the wipers.........sigh.........

Jon

Hmmmmmmmm well I've had a fiddle tonight........and got nowhere!

There are two bolts that hold the hinges to the bulkhead which are accesable with the bonnet open. However these appear to run in round rather than slooted holes, and are screwed into threaded inserts in the bulkhead.

There are definately no shims between the hinges and the bulkhead.

I'm at a bit of a loss now. It all appears straigh and un bent, but it just wont line up! Its got to be a good 1/2 - 3/4" high on the drivers side only at the back and it looks stupid! The passenger side lines up perfectly, and the fron edge lines up perfectly aswell.

Only other thing I can think of is if the whole bonnet is slightly twisted?

Anyone else ever had this problem?

Thanks

Jon

D'oh!

Just realised we've ignored the bluddy obvious!!!!! :blink:

The decker panel to wing connection is also packed out with washers. Try looking at the low side of the decker panel and see if you can shim that up a bit.

Sorry for being thick earlier!!! :lol:

Hmmmmmmmm its never been right since I've had the truck. The bonnet is definately not the origional cos under the blue paint where its flaking in places in a nice shade of epsom green!

The decker panel is on right, and looks right. Its the bonnet thats not..........I'll take some piccy s and post them. It'll probably be easier that way.

Cheers

Jon