Sealey pipe bender

I was offered a 'used once only' Sealey pipe bender for £60 last night. It still looks as good as new, and wondered if anyone has any experience of these. Sealey have a good reputation (though not as good as it used to be).

This is the same thing off of their website:-

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?...amp;cmdGo=Go%21

Les.

I could do that anyway after I've finished with it Bish. A 10-ton hydraulic ram must be pretty-much the same as the next for the relatively short amount of use it'll get. Clarke benders have good rams, but rubbush formers apparently, so how do I tell if a former is ok or not?

Les.

Hi Les

I used one of those sealey pipe benders to make my exo cage and it worked fine if you buy it use it and want to sell it i would be interested later . I did find it kinked on tight 90 bends but that could be tube quality .

cheers steve

I built two cars using one of these. The quality of tube used is imperative, one batch I had kinked on every bend. Changed supplier, different batch and it was fine. That was Blue Band for roll cage.

The formers are not a good fit, a piece of very thin ali between the tube and former solves this, but you can only use each piece a couple of times otherwise they wrinkle and the wrinkles get replicated on the tube.

For 1" and similar you can get nice tight bends, for roll cage work 90 degrees is the max.

HTH

As it's not a competition spec cage I used what I had on the rack low spec cds about 48o/d I did find 90 bend to be the max attainable and when I ran out of old stuff the new similar spec I got hold of seemed softer i.e. small dents where the outer rollers support the tube ...like your tip using thin piece of ally najw will remember that one.

Best thing OF is to get the m/c out stick a bit of tube in and have a go, getting bend centres is a bit of a practice job but if you measure and mark your bend start point or centre point you'll soon work out how the development happens

cheers

Steveb

At that price I would buy it and 'bay it if it's no good.

£211.44... ! :blink: What are you mad or something, my brother picked up the 16ton version of this type for new off Ebay for £90 (not Sealey though, but still works sound).

Have a look for "Hydraulic pipe bender" there's loads posted at the moment.

As stated these type of benders have a tendancy to kink poor quality pipe. With smaller pipe you could try filling with sand (block off ends) before bending or failing that fill with water and freeze before bending, this depends on the type of material your trying to bend though.

Interesting post on the Aluminium plate though, I'll have to try that one out. ;)

HTH.

£211.44... ! :blink: What are you mad or something, my brother picked up the 16ton version of this type for new off Ebay for £90 (not Sealey though, but still works sound).

Err, no, the price is £60!!

Tut tut, please read the first post thoroughly, tut. :lol:;)