Q T diff guard

BogMonster

Just got a QT diff guard for the back of the 90

perhaps there is an obvious explanation but on top of it there is a bracket (supplied loose with the guard) which must go to the front of the diff and bolts on to the top couple of retaining bolts that hold the diff into the axle, however, where this bracket bolts to the guard it has 2 bolt holes in it, as does the guard itself. Problem is these holes don't line up, not by a long way, if you fitted the bracket using 2 bolts it would be off at about 30 degrees to the angle it should be at.

the only way I can see you could fit it would be using only 1 bolt but that means there would be 1 little bolt (prob only M8) taking all the force when you smack it against something

just wondering if they are all like this or whether some twit drilled the holes all wonky?? :blink:

sorry I don't have my camera at work but if needed I'll post a pic to show what I mean

bit far to send it back :unsure: it could obviously be "made to fit" with a drill and tap I just wondered if there was a sensible explanation before I attack it?

the whole thing looks a bit weedy really considering it was twice the price of the one I have on the front... and its only passivated not galvanised which is far less durable <_<

Hi Stephen,

only 1 hole will do,

just help the diff guard a bit jacking it up

and slot the bolt in.

When I asked Dave at Qt he said one hole was for a Disco IIRC (Td5 or what)

and the other for 90/Defenders application.

Anyway,you'll only use one bolt.

I managed to slightly bend the guard a couple of weeks ago though.

:rolleyes:

Hope it helps.

Ta

maybe the different holes are to allow for "LR build tolerances" then :D

It is a std 90 axle, I also got a P38 type one on the same order for somebody with a fairly new 110 (with the new nasty-type back axle) and that was a far more substantial thing - a lot wider across the back than the one I have, mine only protects about 1/3 of the width of the diff pan so if you smacked it on something you'd have to aim straight :)

better than nothing I suppose - and the last bit of armour I need (just fitted a fuel tank guard as the tank on my 90 is under the back like a 110 and has picked up "one or two scars" :unsure: )

Edited because Michele's answer crossed in the post - that makes sense now :)

I 'kissed' mine on something about 3 months ago - now on any rough road surface it vibrates against the axle and makes a really irritating ringing noise. It's not touching, just sits about 1mm away :angry:

probably fear after all the thought of your under the 90 kissing a part on the rear axle enough to make anything shake with worry :lol: