How do you tell if

pigster

reading on the web so far, the problem with the motor is that it judders when starting off or under load... It doesn't slip or rev without extra movement/speed involved.

so could it be a viscous or IRD instead... what are the simptons or these things going wrong.

cheers in advance.

If the VC has gone it'll have locked up.

Easiest way to tell if this has happened is to put a mark (with paint or tip-ex whatever) on the VC input shaft and output shaft -- mark the shafts in the same position so that the two marks line up.

Then go for a short drive. Make sure you go round a few corners or do a couple of tight three-point turns. Check the marks when you get back and they should now be in different positions indicating that the VC is allowing slip between in the I/P and O/P shafts.

If the marks stay in the same positions the VC locked.

The offical method is to jack up one rear wheel and try to turn it -- but this takes so much force even with a good VC that it's not really that reliable a method.

cheers ..

I thought it would be the clutch but with all the other gubbins on this motor I thought I would double check first.

so there is life on this forum then,... all of 3 people.. or are these things sooooo reliable that nothing goes wrong .. apart from the drive train, and the rear window. :D

#

Judder is a warn clutch

cheers ..

I thought it would be the clutch but with all the other gubbins on this motor I thought I would double check first.

so there is life on this forum then,... all of 3 people.. or are these things sooooo reliable that nothing goes wrong .. apart from the drive train, and the rear window. :D

#

The symptoms you describe are clutch/flywheel related - also possibly the front rubber mount for the rear diff.

Just so you know if the IRD fails - the car will not be driveable but may be able to move with loud banging from the front end.

Obvious symptoms of a locked VC are load on the engine - like the handbrake is on - may even stall when backing with the steering on full lock. Rear tyres can scrubb out but not always. To test the VC jack up the rear right wheel, have the car in 1st gear and release the handbrake - remove the small center cap from the rear wheel and put a socket onto the large hub nut with a long breaker bar - after taking up the drivetrain slack apply steady heavy pressure to the breaker bar in a clockwise direction - the wheel should very slowly turn - if you jerk at it, the wheel will not turn. If the wheel turns, the VC is OK - if it will not turn the VC is locked - do not drive the car as the IRD and/or rear diff WILL fail. If you need to drive the car remove the entire drive shaft (2 shafts and VC) from IRD to the rear diff - the car will drive OK in front wheel drive - do not be tempted to just remove one shaft.

Hope this helps

Garry

Canberra

AUSTRALIA

so there is life on this forum then,... all of 3 people.. or are these things sooooo reliable that nothing goes wrong .. apart from the drive train, and the rear window.

... and the head gasket ...

Still the most reliable car we've ever had!

Cheers

Blippie