Transfer box swap

Les Brock

Just about the change the Disco 1.2 Transfer box for a 1.4 to cope with towing on the 265/75/16's, roughly how long to carry out the swap ?

I've armed myself with 180mm M10 bolts for removal/refitting etc

any gaskets etc required so I can get them in before I start :rolleyes:

200Tdi 94 IIRC (K Reg).......old faithfull if it helps :unsure:

any tips I need to know......other than get someone else to do it :lol:

Ta ! ;)

Hi Les

Swopping the transfer box in situ is fairly easy 4-5 hours going steady i reckon. AS far as tip's well from my experience taking off h/brake assy makes it easier to handle and i made a "thing" to drop in the socket on the 3t trolley jack that supports box & bolts to t/box on pto/brg hsg cover ..this makes it more stable to line up when refitting no pic's tho i'm sure you can see what i mean.

When refitting watch out not to damage the seal in the t/box on g/box o/p shaft, also do you know if top gear is cross drilled for oil feed , if not grease g/box shaft / inside gear before refitting.

hth

cheers

steveb :)

Angle is everything Lesmund. Jack the crank sprocket up as high as it'll go to get as much room as possible at the back. Also get plenty of room underneath - either raise the front or jack the vehicle to tilt to the passenger side. Transfer case is heavy/very awkward when you are on your back. 3-5 hours to do, depending on your abilities/everything going smoothly.

Les.

And don't be tempted to save time by leaving the oil in the case as some of the bolts joining it to the gearbox go straight through the casing and are impossible to get back in quick when you realise this :o :o

Not that I have done this of course :lol: (at least the whole assembly was on the bench!)

leave the oil in it is like a lottery how much you'll spill

I jammed a stick in the hole till the box was far enough back to put the bolt back in.(note these sodding bolts leaked after install so were PTFE taped to help keep

the oil in)