Window Tint?

keithjh

Hi All,

Am considering ting the rear windows on the 3 door Disco, anyone had any experience of using the various products or any ideas to stop various people from looking to see what i`m carrying. Had a quote from a window place they want £255 + vat to do it.

Me being a tight git declined :rolleyes:

Cheers

Keith

Hi Keith....... I've done it on my 3-dr Disco, using the tinted foil stuff that you can get from most car shops (even Halfraud's in the boy-racer section!!).

The job itself isn't too complicated (clean window thoroughly, apply soap & water 'mist' solution to window, apply film, apply soap & water to back of film and then 'squeegee' out the bubbles to the edge of the window). It's that last step that's the worst, and requires a LOT of patience - get it wrong and the whole job will look awfull!!!!.

I had the luxury of having the window out of the truck (I was about to fit windows into a Disco van), and even with the glass lying flat on the kitchen counter, it was still a 'mare to get the bubbles out. Don't think I'd attempt it with the glass still in situ......

Hope that helps

Dunk

I do my 3 door with the glass in situ.

The adhesive used on the film is a water based acrylic one. The water spray helps kill the tack for long enough to squeeze away the bubbles. I prefer to use the window cleaner spray and don't be tempted to wind the windows down for a few days untill the adhesive keys properly.

Prices vary for the type & quality of film used. 3M and Vee-Cool do a product that is warrantied against UV fade for anything up to 7 years.Price is 200quid for a 5 door Disco. I buy the cheaper stuff for 5 quid a roll and do my windows every second year or when it starts to get clear again.

Our sun & UV is alot more intense than the UK and I reckon the cheap stuff would work and last for four or five years in England. We're only allowed a 30% tint on our cars......wereas local arabs can drive around in pitch black darkness!

Whats funny about the expensive stuff is that it has been reported to block signals from GPS's and CB radios. The cheaper stuff is no problem though.

Regards.

S

I Have the 98% anti UV tint on the front windows of the 90. Got that done here in aus and went to a tint place and told them i did not want recipt and they did it "bits" they had left over. Still only 30% so as that is the most you can have in the front

So cost me about 35 pounds for both windows fitted

I used some stuff that was in the clearance bin at halfrauds to do the rear side windows on the disco.:

post-260-1174974013_thumb.jpg

to keep this cool and to stop prying eyes:

post-260-1174974057_thumb.jpg

A second pair of hands is definately useful when it comes to removing the film from the backing before applying. As is alot of patience when it comes to squeezing out the bubbles. My first attempt at tinting wasn't perfect but I've now got the confidente to have a stab at the rear window. For that I'll be using 'Limo film' from screwfix. Time will tell if its any good or not.

Window Tint Film UK

www.wtfuk.com

Dirt cheap, and dead easy to apply (well, it takes patience, but it's the same water and squeegee principle).

Mind you, mine was a Defender. No curves on them there windows (except for the alpine lights, which I didn't do (haven't got small enough fingers to get in there).

Martyn

I enquired about this for my vwcamper, and was told by a supplier that i couldnt buy the mirror tint any more because of a pending court case! Apparantly someone stuck it on the back window of a van, as you would, but it was the middle of summer and the resulting brilliant reflection of the sun in the back window caused a pile up!! due to the glare I suppose. so I went to Halfrauds and bought the LIMO BLACK one. Really is one way, you cannont see any thing in side the camper, but you can see out just fine. Great for camping in cities, we never pull the curtains any more!!