Handbrake cable

Yoyodyne

OK - I know it's April fools day but:

Today was the day when I attempted to replace the handbrake cable on my 85 RRC.

Removed the centre console (in pieces) to get to the lever end then it seems I had to remove the front seats, seat mounts, carpets, (discovering on the way a few small but significant holes in the floor under the pedals and elsewhere), and completely remove the front floor to get to the other (drum) end !!!!!!!

C'mon - there must be an easier way to access the drum end ?!!!!?????

Getting out of the car and crawling underneath? :rolleyes:

:lol:

That'd be a good start.

1985 you say, that should be an LT230 T/box... IIRC the hand brake cable is connected to a ickle rod that actually operates the handbrake. The cable is connected by a little clivis pin just behind the drum. Take out the split pin, remove the clivis pin and the cable is free... Its the adjuster mechanism that causes all the fun!!

At the handbrake lever end, you just need to take the plastic box and leccy window switch panel out of the centre console to get to the handbrake lever. IIRC it is held in by a big nut. Later models used a circlip affair instead.

Dan :)

:lol:

That'd be a good start.

1985 you say, that should be an LT230 T/box... IIRC the hand brake cable is connected to a ickle rod that actually operates the handbrake. The cable is connected by a little clivis pin just behind the drum. Take out the split pin, remove the clivis pin and the cable is free... Its the adjuster mechanism that causes all the fun!!

At the handbrake lever end, you just need to take the plastic box and leccy window switch panel out of the centre console to get to the handbrake lever. IIRC it is held in by a big nut. Later models used a circlip affair instead.

Dan :)

Thanks for that Dan - Problem is it's an LT95 (I think - reverse is on the left and forward) and there is a lot of dried mud on the couplings. :angry:

LT95 4-speed is reverse on the right and back ...

AndyG

Well that about buggers that up. Reverse is deffo left and forward but it has 5 cogs - it also has a Diahatsu engine which may account for any confusion over the gearbox.

Pardon my ignorance but which box is it?

Well that about buggers that up. Reverse is deffo left and forward but it has 5 cogs - it also has a Diahatsu engine which may account for any confusion over the gearbox.

Pardon my ignorance but which box is it?

That sounds like an LT77, which will have an LT230 transfer box on the back as suggested by Dan.