steering wheel play

hi i recently fitted a second hand steeering box to my 200tdi defender.Since fitting i have free play on the spline which comes out of the box,quater turn either way before movement on wheels is noticed. tried srewing in the adjuster on the top which makes the steering stiffer but does nothing for the free play.Any other alterations which i can make or is it badly worn.Reason for changing was the other leaked but steering was perfect. Any advice please would be very helpfull

Thanks..

Check the steering box is "centred" i.e. in the middle of its travel as it should be tight in that position but can be quite a bit of play off to each side.

Don't overtighten the adjuster as apparently if you get carried away it can trash the innards of the box.

Check the steering box is "centred" i.e. in the middle of its travel as it should be tight in that position but can be quite a bit of play off to each side.

Don't overtighten the adjuster as apparently if you get carried away it can trash the innards of the box.

[/quote

Thanks for the reply m8.

How would i find the centre of the steering box.

Found this in my RAVE CD's

Centralise steering ----

disconnect drag link & drag link ends

turn steering wheel to full right lock

turn steering wheel backexactly 2 complete turns

refit drag link -- if it won't drop in adjust to nominal setting of 924mm between centres & centre of ball joint pin to 28.5mm from end of drag link rod, if steering wheel is offset to right adjust drag link rod -- shorten it

if to left --lengthen it, tighten clamp bolts to 40Nm

hope that helps must reset mine too.

:D

Unfortunately Clem, you've bought a worn steering box but check for play in the steering ujs, it won't make that much difference if they have play in them but it might help a bit to replace them if they do have play. I've never found adjusting the box made that much difference anyway, by the time you've adjusted the play out it's too tight to be practical.

Time to bite the bullet and get a new one methinks.

HTH

Mo