Transfer box winding up?

Jon White

Ever come accross this before??

I've got a problem in that my series keeps sticking in 4wd. I've had the tin cover plate off the front to check that the selectors aren't sticking (which they arent), and when its parked on the flat it goes in and out of 4wd correctly. However if I jack a wheel up and put a little tension on the driveline via my foot turning the wheel, it stays in 4wd until the tension is released on the wheel at which point the trasnfer box pops back into 2wd.

However the problem this casues is that when you go laning for example, you emerge at the end of the lane, shove the lever forward to go back into high range, and spend the next ten minutes bouncing up and down the verge etc trying to get the transfer box to pop back into 2wd!

I've not had it apart yet but anyone ever had this before or get any bright ideas? Its definately not sticky selector rods (the usual casue) so the only other thing I can think of is a broken spring inside on the selectors.....

Sounds about right?

Cheers

Jon

Ever come accross this before??

I've got a problem in that my series keeps sticking in 4wd. I've had the tin cover plate off the front to check that the selectors aren't sticking (which they arent), and when its parked on the flat it goes in and out of 4wd correctly. However if I jack a wheel up and put a little tension on the driveline via my foot turning the wheel, it stays in 4wd until the tension is released on the wheel at which point the trasnfer box pops back into 2wd.

However the problem this casues is that when you go laning for example, you emerge at the end of the lane, shove the lever forward to go back into high range, and spend the next ten minutes bouncing up and down the verge etc trying to get the transfer box to pop back into 2wd!

I've not had it apart yet but anyone ever had this before or get any bright ideas? Its definately not sticky selector rods (the usual casue) so the only other thing I can think of is a broken spring inside on the selectors.....

Sounds about right?

Cheers

Jon

Do you have mismatched tyre diameters front to rear? Or maybe a 4.7:1 diff in one end and a Higher ratio ( 4.3, 3.9 or even a 3.54 :1 diff in the other end? The Rover car 4.3 and 3.9 diffs can usually be identified by having a round pinion flange as opposed to the rectangular shaped flange of LandRover diffs

Bill.

If you look on the front of the transfer box. There is a small cap that fits over the end of the box that protects the ends of selector the shafts, they sometimes fill up with carp and rust. take it off and have a look. It looks as though its not coming out of 4wd prpoerly. Is the spring present under the yellow knob?

pat

Do you have mismatched tyre diameters front to rear? Or maybe a 4.7:1 diff in one end and a Higher ratio ( 4.3, 3.9 or even a 3.54 :1 diff in the other end? The Rover car 4.3 and 3.9 diffs can usually be identified by having a round pinion flange as opposed to the rectangular shaped flange of LandRover diffs

Bill.

Nope - same tyres front and rear and same diffs front and rear (trust me i've changed em often enough lately!)

Jon

If you look on the front of the transfer box. There is a small cap that fits over the end of the box that protects the ends of selector the shafts, they sometimes fill up with carp and rust. take it off and have a look. It looks as though its not coming out of 4wd prpoerly. Is the spring present under the yellow knob?

pat

See above - already been there and removed it! They arent siezed. Yes the spring is present.

I'll have it all apart (again!) and see whats what inside!

Jon

Thanks Nige! I'll let you know.

Les, no - very little backlash in it. 24 spline shafts front and rear and recently rebuilt diffs on ARB centres. Props are fine, u/j's are fine. As I say - its been fine for years, its just suddenly started doing it!

Jon

• 2 months later...

Well that was a weird one! Finally got to the bottom of it after I pulled the front diff and counted the teeth! I've somehow managed to pick up a 4.3:1 ring and pinion! God knows what its off and it looks the same as a 4.7 and bolts up the same! My guess is off of a Rover car of some description.

You dont want to know how many times I've had the transfer box apart trying to find something wrong with it......sigh!

Jon

Well that was a weird one! Finally got to the bottom of it after I pulled the front diff and counted the teeth! I've somehow managed to pick up a 4.3:1 ring and pinion! God knows what its off and it looks the same as a 4.7 and bolts up the same! My guess is off of a Rover car of some description.

It must be a rare prototytpe, get it on eBlag quick! :D

:rolleyes:

Yeah I know...........that'll teach me to count the teeth to check next time I change a diff! The odd thing was it had a series type prop flange on it just like a normal series one!

Mate of mine came up with a good way of checking it though which I'll share:-

Put it in 4wd and jack up both wheels on one side of the vehicle.

Mark the tyres at the bottom with a bit of chalk, and spin one over 10 complete revolutions returning the chalk mark to the bottom. Then check and see where the chalk mark is on the other tyre. If its not also in line theres your problem!

Jon

Yeah I know...........that'll teach me to count the teeth to check next time I change a diff! The odd thing was it had a series type prop flange on it just like a normal series one!

Mate of mine came up with a good way of checking it though which I'll share:-

Put it in 4wd and jack up both wheels on one side of the vehicle.

Mark the tyres at the bottom with a bit of chalk, and spin one over 10 complete revolutions returning the chalk mark to the bottom. Then check and see where the chalk mark is on the other tyre. If its not also in line theres your problem!

Jon

Jon ive got a series 3 gearbox at my garage if you want it

just for 20 squid it can be yours

TWIZZLE