The FL2

DEANO3528

I remember reading on here about Bogmonster's raving's over the new Freelander awhile back and thinking, "Hmm. leopard... spots...

Well I was wrong and I just thought I'd say what a fantastic not-so-little-anymore motor the new Freebie is!

We were looking around the latest line-up on Lindacre's stand at the Mid Suffolk Show (which just happened to be right next to our SLROC stand and off road ride area.

It just looks right and the cabn is really well appointed and surprisingly large: sort of Tardis-like!

Double the output from the uprated TD4 and 6 spd box all adds up to what looks to be a real winner.

Let's just hope quality control is better now than it was in the past.

It's a pity they couldn't have made a decent job of the styling on the D3 though. But then, Discovery has always been the ugly duckling in the family, I guess!

• 3 weeks later...

Well it must be good because I was out for a walk a few weekends ago. I police Range Rover scoots past us thought nothing of it until a Brand new dark green Freelander 2 drives past us with Prince Phillip driving and the Queen in the passenger seat. I was a sunday so I pressume they had been to church and were driving back don't you know.

They did'nt stop to chat about Land Rovers though.

Beat that for celeb spotting in a LR.

ps I have a Disco3 and think they look great its a statement of pure design.

• 4 months later...
Well it must be good because I was out for a walk a few weekends ago. I police Range Rover scoots past us thought nothing of it until a Brand new dark green Freelander 2 drives past us with Prince Phillip driving and the Queen in the passenger seat. I was a sunday so I pressume they had been to church and were driving back don't you know.

They did'nt stop to chat about Land Rovers though.

Beat that for celeb spotting in a LR.

ps I have a Disco3 and think they look great its a statement of pure design.

Deano

Have a TD4 HSE which had to go the the dealer for a minor repair. Landrover assist gave me a Freelander TD4 HSE for a courtest car. Within 1/2 a day of driving I was phoning the dealers for a price and within 5 days I had a deal and the order place. That was the end of July and I am still waiting althought I do expect delivery next week.

Since then I have had a Disco 3 HSE as a courtesy car when I blew my diff. I really wanted the Disco 3 but cannot afford it at this stage however having driven the FL2 previously I would say that Landrover need to look at the spec of the Disco the FL2 is much much better in my view.

jammy git :P

I would probably replace my Discovery with one if it wasn't for the price - down here they are about £4000 more than I was expecting based on the price of the old one :o

it is a proper grown up car though and no longer feels the cheap model in the range like the old one did. If it had low range it would trounce a D3 off road too, IMHO, having watched the Autocar boys give them a good "test" :D

jammy git :P

I would probably replace my Discovery with one if it wasn't for the price - down here they are about £4000 more than I was expecting based on the price of the old one :o

it is a proper grown up car though and no longer feels the cheap model in the range like the old one did. If it had low range it would trounce a D3 off road too, IMHO, having watched the Autocar boys give them a good "test" :D

BM

I need a car to go. I am hard on cars and found Landrovers stand up to the abuse. Driving 22000 miles a year I need a car that is reliable and my TD4 HSe has only had one problem that caused any concern and that was a blown diff.

The FL2 must be selling well I have had an order placed for nearly two and a half months and still no sign. Even thought about cancelling the order but the dealer that I bought my current Freelander from (too dear for the replacement) said I had a really good deal and he would not be in a position to get even close.

I had a test drive not long after the launch. It is one thing to have a salesman beside you when you take a test drive and another entirely when you get it on your own. The new car is chalk and cheese compared to the old model and puts the new disco in the shade. To beat the new disco completely add air suspension ( and consequently low range) and 2 extra seats in the boot and you make the disco obsolete apart from the towing capacity and even then I tow a twin axle caravan which weighs in at 1.5 tonnes. The current freelander looses power at the 60mph mark which is ok but I beleive the new TD4 has 50BHP more so I will be interested to see how it performs.

Had a FL2, as a loaner when the Defender was in the ABS (first time !!! )

Biggest disappointment was

Calling it Freelander !! :o as completely different beast, !!

Certainly much bigger vehicle, and why also call it TD4 ??

Had a FL2, as a loaner when the Defender was in the ABS (first time !!! )

Biggest disappointment was

Calling it Freelander !! :o as completely different beast, !!

Certainly much bigger vehicle, and why also call it TD4 ??

TJ

There is a lot of truth in what you say but I recon they are trying to keep some continuity with the heritage. :rolleyes:

What's the reliability like so far, from those who own them? The D3 is, erm, "variable" to say the least so I wondered if the F2 was better.

BM

It is a new model. There will always be teething problems after the initial launch it just depends how serious the faults are. I will let you know after I get mine and have had it a while.