Engine oil changes

ChrisB

Hi friends,

Does anyone have any tips for making engine oil changes any easier / cleaner to do? Are the difflock drain plugs worthwhile, or an expensive gimmick?

What oils do people use in their engines - specifically a '93 200tdi that's done 116k ish. I usually do fairly frequent changes (3000ish miles) as i'm running on a (strong) veg mix.

Is it worth using a cleaning additive when changing the oil?

I'm also going to do the axles and gearboxes for the first time too, any tips appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

For the transfer box and diffs you will need a square ended adaptor for your ratchet / spanner usually 19mm hex end.

Usually found at Halfrauds. Cannot remember size of square but easily measured.

No tips as such really.

I find changing the filter muckier than the oil its self, which is easy enough.

I use mineral 15w40 in my 91 200tdi. It has 215k miles on it.

Oil changed when ever I think of it and it isn't raining - usually about twice a year, prolly every 5k miles. Would reduce that if running veg oil.

When changing the gearbox, don't be too frightened by the amount of steel you find attached to the magnetic drain plug.

Hi friends,

Does anyone have any tips for making engine oil changes any easier / cleaner to do? Are the difflock drain plugs worthwhile, or an expensive gimmick?

I'm also going to do the axles and gearboxes for the first time too, any tips appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Make sure you can undo the fill/level plugs BEFORE you undo the drain plugs...

We have just changed the engine oil in our off road racer and the oil was very black and had a strong smell of petrol. The oil is very expensive stuff, about £100 for the oil and filter... We're going to the rolling road next week to sort out the overfuelling problem.

Does anyone have any experience of a engine oil analysis service?

If so, who did you use and what was the cost?

Nick... the smelly one

No, but if you do use one you need to have the oil analyzed several times over a period of time.

1 analasys won't really tell you much.

You need to look for a consistent pattern in the analasys and once that starts

varying you have a problem.

Are the difflock drain plugs worthwhile, or an expensive gimmick?

I'm using one on my 200 Tdi, and I like it. Oil changes are made a bit easier and less messy because you drain the waste oil straight into the container that you'll take to the recycling place. (Too bad it doesn't help with changing the filter - I invariably manage to dribble oil all over my propshaft when I'm doing that!)