Suspension suggestions needed

SteveG

Went to fit my Gwyn Lewis Challenge shock mounts and 11" Rough Country shocks today and it appears that no one could have tried fitting this to a TD5 before as you can't fit the rear mounts on the off-side.

suspension-web-pics-003.jpg

The rear shock mount can't be fitted as the fuel filter gets in the way. So it looks like I have two alternatives. Move the fuel filter :ph34r: or look for another shock mount.

I know Devon 4x4 do a +2" rotating shock mount that would be suitable for the 11" travel shocks. Seems like a good idea, however at 225 pounds a pair :blink: they are a bit on the expensive side and have eye fittings. I'll have to change out shocks, which is a shame as I quite like the idea of having a single type of shock front and rear.

Does anyone know an alternative shock mount, as I wasn't that keen on moving filter.

Cheers

Steve

Several TD5 90s have these brackets fitted - there was at least 2 or 3 at the AWDC / Scorpion Challenge yesterday....

General concencus seems to be to just move the filter a bit - there is even enough room in the std fuelpipes to move it far enough on alittle bracket to allow for the shock mount to fit

David

Thanks for the replies and especially Si with the offer to fab something up.

I measured up yesterday, and to fit the mount, the fuel filter would need to be moved forward about 2 1/4 inches. Admittedly I didn't undo fastenings, but it didn't look like there was that amount of slack in pipes so I'll have a thorough look this time.

Here's a pic..

panel008Medium.jpg

as you can see the max traction mounts would be even worse, but thanks for suggestion.

The only TD5 I've seen with them fitted with had old TDi tank under drivers seat as they had a rear winch where TD5 tank sits so there was no filter there anyway.

I think it's worth noting on websites that filter needs to be modded to fit them. Also in case anyone was wondering, David at Llama 4x4 sent an e-mail offering to take back mounts and shocks.

Cheers

Steve

Went to fit my Gwyn Lewis Challenge shock mounts and 11" Rough Country shocks today and it appears that no one could have tried fitting this to a TD5 before as you can't fit the rear mounts on the off-side.

suspension-web-pics-003.jpg

That welding is a work of art... just how it should look..

makes the QT stuff look like the birds**t it really is... :rolleyes:

The rear shock mount can't be fitted as the fuel filter gets in the way. So it looks like I have two alternatives. Move the fuel filter :ph34r: or look for another shock mount.

Option 3 chuck out the stinky Td5 before it goes wrong anyway and put a nice 300Tdi in, with the fuel filter in the engine bay where it should be :P