Water pump and viscous fan

LR90

Ain't Landies great, get back and take the 90 (200TdI) out for a short spin only to find its running hot :(

Some of the problem is down to the top hose that is starting to perish so that's easy to fix though suggestons on where best to buy the hose from before I go to Paddocks would be welcome.

More ominous is the viscous fan doesn't seem to be working (keeps spinning long after the hot engine has stopped). Now I'd be very keen to hear any suggestions on how to 'fix' the fan I've got or what I can swap it with to give me constant drive fan and get rid of the viscous unit.

And the last Q which I'm sure came up recently is what's my best bet for a new water pump, dealers? Current one is not leaking but does seem to have a lot of play on the shaft so is clearly on the way out.

Edit: checking I replaced both pump and viscous unit 3 years ago (probably Britpart c/o paddocks)

After-market water pumps do tend to be significantly weaker than Gen ones, but in fairness I would have to say that pump bearing failure can be blamed to a large extent on over-tight fan belts. On a cold engine the viscous fan should feel as though it's being spun in thick oil. As the revs increase, then the fan speed should as well. These engines are over-cooled anyway, and even without a fan they take some doing to overheat, so maybe you have another problem causing this?

Les.

More ominous is the viscous fan doesn't seem to be working (keeps spinning long after the hot engine has stopped). Now I'd be very keen to hear any suggestions on how to 'fix' the fan I've got or what I can swap it with to give me constant drive fan and get rid of the viscous unit.

Drill a couple of small holes and stuff a couple of well-placed self tappers into the mechanism to lock it up ...

AndyG

cheers Les, yes the leaking top hose losing pressure probably isn't helping much so I'll sort that first.

Do have trouble trying to tell if the viscous is working or not though, does seem very loose. I've got some self tappers so might try Andy's trick just to be sure. Anyone know what size the pump spanner is I need to take it off (think my spanner is in Somerset).

viscous is 32mm on any Tdi

you don't need the fan though - I take mine off a lot of the time for on road driving, only required for slow off road use, or towing :)

so if it is overheating then there is probably another problem e.g. a blocked radiator, a working fan might cover this problem up but it probably needs attention!