quick release anti roll bars...

freeagent

i'm in the process of sorting my disco suspension out, i'd like a bit more flex, but as the disco is my daily drive i'd like to keep the rear anti roll bar...

i know the orange bandits do a quick release anti roll bar kit, has anyone ever seen one? any ideas what you need to fabricate your own?

cheers

m@tt...

i'm in the process of sorting my disco suspension out, i'd like a bit more flex, but as the disco is my daily drive i'd like to keep the rear anti roll bar...

i know the orange bandits do a quick release anti roll bar kit, has anyone ever seen one? any ideas what you need to fabricate your own?

cheers

m@tt...

have a look at a nissan patrol or ask on a patrol forum. i belive you could flick a switch to disconnect it on the gu series.

Most of the Jeep ones consist of two concentric, telescopic tubes with a pin to lock them in one position. The telescopic section would replace the bar inbetween the two ball joints which connect the anti roll bar to the axle. You would obviously have to extend them a bit to have any space to fit.

You can often see them struggling to get the pin in - because it will only go if the vehicle is absolutely level.

I wondered about making an over-centre thing (a bit like your knee joint) which will lock in the extended position. you use a screw collar to lock the knee straight and to stop it from completely straightening and locking. The advantage is you just need to push the 'knee caps' to lock it, then screw down the collars to secure. You might even be able to use a pair of choke cables to do the locking / unlocking?

A slightly more difficult to fabricate solution uses an arc - (like a slice of pie) with a v cut into the circumference (crust). there is a collar/bush at the centre of the arc. Thread one end of your anti roll bar through the collar so the arc sits along side the side of your bar. you attach the ball joint assembly between the arc and the axle.

As the vehicle articulates, the end of your anti roll bar tracks around the circumference of your arc. you need to make a thing that looks like a guillotine pivoted and attached to the end of the anti roll bar which swings to lock into the V cut in the circumference.

Use a spring to push the guillotine into the V and a choke cable in line with a spring to pull it out.

Thus to unlock, you pull the choke cable, tensioning its spring. When the pressure is relieved on the guillotine (as the vehicle articulates) the spring will pull it out of the V. To lock, release the choke cable and the spring will push the guillotine in to the V when it lines up.

Si

Have you actually tried driving it with the anti-roll bars removed?

I use my disco every day on a 35 mile commute on a mixture of A and B roads with no anti-roll bars fitted and find that it is fine, yes it rolls a little more (I also have a 2" lift) but not in a oh my gawd I am gonna fall over kind of way and to be honest I find the ride is better with out the bars fitted. I don't hang around either although I don't try and drive it like it's a sports car either.

HTH

Pete.

thanks guys, the american kit looks like the way to go, simplicity itself...

When i get some decent dampers i think i'll give it a go without the anti-roll bars and see what its like..

I'd like to keep the rear one as it helps when i've got the roof tent on...