I've got this squeak....

Disco_Dunk

Hey all, my 300tdi Disco has developed an annoying squeak - seems to be coming from the nearside front wheel, but it doesn't squeak in time with the wheel's speed.

If anything the squeak is more frequent and noticeable when turning a corner (either way), but it does it in a straight line too...... applying the tiniest amount pressure on the break pedal makes the squeak stop, until it's released again.

Now, I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of suspects: either, the wheel-bearing or the brake pads (could they be rubbing in the calipers and squeaking?).

Anyone come across this before? It's really starting to do my head in, and the Disco's starting to sound more like a Sherman tank!! (memo to self: must fix the leaking exhaust as well!!) :angry:

Cheers

Dunk

Squeak or squeal ?

Sometimes after a dunking in water or mud, small stones can get caught between pad and disk. These gradually grind away.. No way to get them out unless you take pads out and find the buggars...

They do go away.... Eventually.....

(then of course, I could be wrong...)

Squeak or squeal ?

Definitely a squeak - I've had that wheel up on a stand to see if the bearing was slack (it wasn't) and to have a visual check for anything obvious - no sign of trapped stones :unsure:

Could the wheel bearing be running a bit dry (so it might just need re-packing with grease)?

Dunk

Mine does the same. I am fairly sure on mine it is the brake pads as I cannot detect any play in the wheel bearings. I think the pad is just rubbing on the disc very lightly.

would that not vary with road speed though?

Guest WALFY

Have you got genuine pads fitted? Stumpy2268 on here had the same with his RRC, on ly gen pads sorted the squeak. ISTR that they aren't that expensive

Definitely a squeak - I've had that wheel up on a stand to see if the bearing was slack (it wasn't) and to have a visual check for anything obvious - no sign of trapped stones :unsure:

Could the wheel bearing be running a bit dry (so it might just need re-packing with grease)?

Dunk

My truck had a like noise.....

The bearing was fine .... in the end found that one swivel was full of mud not oil :ph34r:

hope you find the source of the noise soon...

Have you got genuine pads fitted? Stumpy2268 on here had the same with his RRC, on ly gen pads sorted the squeak. ISTR that they aren't that expensive

Hmmmm - no, they're lockheed pads from Paddocks..... I'd wondered about applying a tiny bit of copper-grease to the backs of the pads in case they're rubbing against the caliper pistons when they're not being applied, and maybe putting a dab on the pad-retaining pins as well to see if it helps.

Would squeaky UJ's be affected by applying the brakes?..... at this rate I'm gonna be re-lubing/replacing everything just to get rid of this damned squeak!!!

Was it an episode of MASH where they rigged a Wilys Jeep to sound like a tank and then they just drove it round in circles to make the enemy think they had artillery backup??...... something like that, anyway ;-)

Dunk