Overheating disco

stu666

Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem with my 300tdi auto.

History;

Bought the car in Jan - few minor problems nothing major.

Approx' 2 months ago it started to oveheat at speed and on hills (not off road).

I changed the temp sender, thermostat, water pump and belt (genuine landrover belt).

Still had the problem, but getting worse.

Had the block gas check done - worst fears confirmed - exhaust gas entering coolant.

Had the head removed - pressure tested - skimmed & refitted with new gasket as the old one was leaking on 2 cylinders.

Driving home last night from the garage and BINGO the temp gauge shot up again!!!!

This time it is not doing it at speed/load but sat at idle at lights.

Turned the heater blowers on full and the temp comes back down quite quickly.

Viscous fan is working.

Coming to work this morning - no problems at all.

I need some suggestions please.

Could it be a dicky gauge or electrical problem as the speedo does very occasionally tell me i'm doing 50mph as i accelerate from standing (usually after playing in a river or stream)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi,

I have a very frustrating problem with my 300tdi auto.

History;

Bought the car in Jan - few minor problems nothing major.

Approx' 2 months ago it started to oveheat at speed and on hills (not off road).

I changed the temp sender, thermostat, water pump and belt (genuine landrover belt).

Still had the problem, but getting worse.

Had the block gas check done - worst fears confirmed - exhaust gas entering coolant.

Had the head removed - pressure tested - skimmed & refitted with new gasket as the old one was leaking on 2 cylinders.

Driving home last night from the garage and BINGO the temp gauge shot up again!!!!

This time it is not doing it at speed/load but sat at idle at lights.

Turned the heater blowers on full and the temp comes back down quite quickly.

Viscous fan is working.

Coming to work this morning - no problems at all.

I need some suggestions please.

Could it be a dicky gauge or electrical problem as the speedo does very occasionally tell me i'm doing 50mph as i accelerate from standing (usually after playing in a river or stream)

HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Have you checked the condition of your rad as the fins can rot, it may look fine but touch then and it can be like pine needles falling of a Christmas tree :blink: and make sure its not full of mud :rolleyes:

also the speedo is a mechanical connection with a cable going into the transfer case behind the hand brake on the (looking from back to front) left hand side, if you do a lot of wading/mud plugging check the cable is seated properly cos you dont want water/crud getting into the tcase :ph34r:

Actually I think you will find that the speedo on a 300 Series is electronic. When I fitted the 300 body to my 200 Series chassis and running gear I had to get a speedo transducer for it. You will find that, in the wet, the speedo can sometimes fail due to the connections getting wet. The transducer is just a plug on the back og the transfer box where the speedo cable would normally go and has 2 wires coming from it. The transducer can also get messy inside. They are quite easy to take apart and clean.

HTH

Ivan

Thanks moose & roverdrive, have checked the rad and it is shot and has cool spots. Also found that the muppets who replaced the head gasket had omited to fully tighten the top hose clips and water was leaving the system as air was entering!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well onto internet for new rad. Hopefully this will finally cure the problem.

Thanks moose & roverdrive, have checked the rad and it is shot and has cool spots. Also found that the muppets who replaced the head gasket had omited to fully tighten the top hose clips and water was leaving the system as air was entering!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well onto internet for new rad. Hopefully this will finally cure the problem.

Nice - you've probably found the culprit! Take the time to clean out the 3-way joiner (exp.tank, thermo-return and rad return) as crust from the collapsed rad might end up there. I had mine blocked solid causing an air lock which produced exactly the symptoms you experienced. Overheat, head gasket gone, warped head... *bugger*

Good luck!

Nice - you've probably found the culprit! Take the time to clean out the 3-way joiner (exp.tank, thermo-return and rad return) as crust from the collapsed rad might end up there. I had mine blocked solid causing an air lock which produced exactly the symptoms you experienced. Overheat, head gasket gone, warped head... *bugger*

Good luck!

Changed the rad at the weekend - problem sorted