Why did Landrover decide to fit EDC on Discovery's

Does any one know why Landrover saw fit to use EDC on the automatic 300TDI's ?

Just curious as I have recently changed mine over to a normal pump and junked the EDC kit and find that it goes better and seems to be using less fuel and is nicer to drive.

Pete.

Goes better in comparison to what, though? To you old pump when it was faulty (IIRC) or to an EDC equipped truck in good order? Doesn't mean you're wrong, of course, but unless you've had a chance to drive both back to back it's not really a fair comparison.

My Disco used to be EDC equiped until it played around and got itself removed! The previous owner said it used to go really well before the fault appeared. I also have a mate with a low mileage EDC Disco and he describes it as "a flying machine" and that includes when its towing his challenge truck!

I understand that Land Rover fitted the EDC system to the 300 TDI Auto Discoverys to get more power from the engine, EDC has 123bhp standard has 111bhp, to improve the auto tdi's tendancy to bog on pull away, to improve emmisons and as a trial for electrickery on a diesel engine, a for runner to the TD5 if you like.

The EDC has loads of electric gear, most of which found its way on to the TD5, fly by wire throttle, air flow meter, turbo boost sensor, air temp, diesel temp, engine position sensor, 4th injector position sensor, an ECU and EDC on the injector pump.

I know the TD5 was slightly different with regard to the fuel system, doing away with the injector pump and having five high pressure injectors that measure the fuel and inject when told to by the ECU.

It gives the impression that Land Rover used the EDC 300 TDI, as a stepping stone to the TD5, just as they did with the air suspension and increased wheel base on the Range Rover Classic LSE, leading upto the 38A second generation Range Rover.

Don't take it as gospel, but thats my opinion, oh and if I've missed anything out feel free to say!

Buzz.

Goes better in comparison to what, though? To you old pump when it was faulty (IIRC) or to an EDC equipped truck in good order? Doesn't mean you're wrong, of course, but unless you've had a chance to drive both back to back it's not really a fair comparison.

Tis true that I don't know for sure if it was running properly before however the fault that led to the removal was a dead spot at just above tickover on the throttle potentiometer so not convinced it would have affected performance overall.

I have to say that prior to the dead spot I was very happy with the way it went on the EDC and it was quite happy cruising at 70 on the motorway all day and on my normal run to work would return 30ish MPG and would even beat some suprising things off the line upto about 20mph, which leads me to think it was running reasonably well.

In comparison it just seems to be running and starting better now that it is on a mechanical pump. and the throttle response is far better. Which I conceed may have been down to the fault developing on the potentiometer.

Pete

I understand that Land Rover fitted the EDC system to the 300 TDI Auto Discoverys to get more power from the engine

Correct, and when it is working the difference is quite noticeable on a Tdi auto. I still wouldn't have either EDC or a Tdi auto though, the EDC engine with an auto is like treading on a four inch rusty nail instead of a six inch one :)