Brake fluid for a s111

Paddy

Helping a mate change some slaves and a master on an 83 S111. Please confirm fluid is Dot3 before I start pouring it in tomorrow !!

thanks..

Castrol GTLMA only as far as I know, as it does not affect natural rubber seals as normal DOT fluid might.

as Lenson says. silicone fluid is not hydroscoic (?) i.e. does not absorb water whcih is a good and a bad thing; the bad thing being the water being denser will sink to the lowest part of the system i.e. the brake cylinders nad rust them.

Just to jigack the thread, I often wonder how water can get into the brake system. It is sealed apart from miute vent in cap. Tthe interface for water abstoption is the area inside the master cylinder and take in to account the amount of watervapoour in the air, surelyif one did the math, the amount is miniscule?

The vent in a master cylinder is not a valve. Fluid gets hot and air in the master gets pushed out. Fluid cools and the air is sucked in with a small amount of condensation being the result. Considering how often this will happen within, say a year - quite a bit of water will end up in the fluid.

Les.

The vent in a master cylinder is not a valve. Fluid gets hot and air in the master gets pushed out. Fluid cools and the air is sucked in with a small amount of condensation being the result. Considering how often this will happen within, say a year - quite a bit of water will end up in the fluid.

Les.

Yes, and an hygroscopic fluid will cause the moisture to spread throughout the system whereas with a silicon fluid it should just settle in the bottom of the resevoir.

My 3 pen'th; I used 'Halfords Brake and Clutch Fluid' when i had my S3! It was cheap and came in a 5 litre container.

Worked fine in the few years i had it. The moisture retention properties you mention are more long-term i'd have thought.

My 3 pen'th; I used 'Halfords Brake and Clutch Fluid' when i had my S3! It was cheap and came in a 5 litre container.

Worked fine in the few years i had it. The moisture retention properties you mention are more long-term i'd have thought.

'They' reckon you should change brake fluid every 18 months