Parking

nickm

Anyone know the legal requirements about parking ur mota on a road

was thinking abot covering up my landy when its not being used (only gets used 1 or 2 times a month)

apart from making the tax disc and rear reflectors visible would i need to leave anything else uncovered ?

I used to park my VW on the road with a full cover over it when at University in Portsmouth.

I lived next to a Police station and never had any problems. It used to be covered for at least 2 weeks at a time.

But I did find that it didn't serve any real purpose - it can hide vandalism (I was lucky...) and can act as a thief magnet.

After my first few terms, I left it at home.

Why do you wish to cover your LR?

I used to park my VW on the road with a full cover over it when at University in Portsmouth.

I lived next to a Police station and never had any problems. It used to be covered for at least 2 weeks at a time.

But I did find that it didn't serve any real purpose - it can hide vandalism (I was lucky...) and can act as a thief magnet.

After my first few terms, I left it at home.

Why do you wish to cover your LR?

thinking of giving up the yard that its parked in space right outside my house is under a tree which

has a couple of big fat pigeons in

A guy round the corner from me has covered his car for ages. Recently he's just scrawled the reg. no. on with marker pen.

I wonder whether pigeon pie could be a solution?

never tried it

but dont think they'll be there for too long

"If the vehicle is not on a trailer, then it has to be taxed, MOT'd, and insured. The reg should be visible, but not necessarily the tax disc as a PNC check would tell the Police/Traffic gestapo warden if it was taxed or not."

What about "Failure to display a current Tax disc" I believe that this is still a law?

This has nothing to do with actually having one rather the inability of an official to see it.

Well there's a loophole of sorts. I had the disc stolen out of my S2A and the Police advised me to remove the disc from the vehicle whenever it was parked up if it was easy to gain access to the vehicle even if it was locked up. (S1 had no door locks or even external handle on the early ones). By removing the disc in these situations you are preventing crime. I doubt very much nowadays that you would get nicked for that offence unless you were actually driving the vehicle at the time.

Les.

Well there's a loophole of sorts. I had the disc stolen out of my S2A and the Police advised me to remove the disc from the vehicle whenever it was parked up if it was easy to gain access to the vehicle even if it was locked up. (S1 had no door locks or even external handle on the early ones). By removing the disc in these situations you are preventing crime. I doubt very much nowadays that you would get nicked for that offence unless you were actually driving the vehicle at the time.

Les.

its all road legal so its not a prob to leave there, suppose if the num plate is visible they would be able to check if it had tax insurance mot gues the traffic wardens wouldnt be able to put a ticket on it if they cant get to the screen

there was a thread about this sort of thing a while ago. Might not have been on here though.

basically a BiB confirmed that a motorbije cover cannot be touched in order to check the validity of insurance/tax. ie a traffic warden can't come along and lift the vehicle cover to look at the tax disc- it's trespass i seem to remember. the same goes for number plates

will have a look to see if i can find the thread anywhere.

there was a thread about this sort of thing a while ago. Might not have been on here though.

basically a BiB confirmed that a motorbije cover cannot be touched in order to check the validity of insurance/tax. ie a traffic warden can't come along and lift the vehicle cover to look at the tax disc- it's trespass i seem to remember. the same goes for number plates

will have a look to see if i can find the thread anywhere.

niceone thanks

Slightly OT but worth trying....

Really smart young lady walks into a highstreet bank in the city and politely asks to see the manager and explains to him that she needs a small loan of 2000 pounds for a couple of weeks. The manager asks if she can provide any collateral and she places a bunch of keys on the table and says that they are to her Bentley which is parked outside. The manager sends one of the clerks who returns after a few minutes to confirm that the keys do belong to a well kept and new Bentley - the manager asks the clerk to take the car down into the bank's underground car park and counts out the 2000 pounds for the lady.

A couple of weeks later the young lady returns to the bank and counts out the 2000 pounds and the small interest fee of 20 pounds and the manager hands over the keys. As he walks her out to the Bentley he can no longer contain his curiosity and politely asks her why a young laday obviously as well off as she needs such a loan to which she answers: "I dont know any other place where I can park my Bentley in an underground and gaurded car park in the city for that price"

Guest WALFY

I had that as an e-mail in the week but it was for a RRS not a Bently and for 5k not 2k.

Obviously just a LR slant put on by an enthusiast :)

Guest diesel_jim

I had it too... with a "dizzy blonde" instead of a smart lady...

personally, i'd have preferred pictures and made my own mind up.... :ph34r::ph34r:;)