Possible overheating 300Tdi

Afternoon all,

I have a bit of an issue from the weekend - bit of an overheating issue (maybe!). Driving back from Leeds on the A1 yesterday and the (standard LR) temp gauge started creeping up. When it was verging on red I pulled over and popped the bonnet - all seemed fine. It wasn't leaking cooland, wasn't pissing white smoke from the exhaust, no lack of power. Waited for it to cool off and popped the coolant cap, at the normal level and flowing too. Called the RAC and the guy who came out used to have a Disco, seemed to know his stuff and reckoned it could well be the temp. sender...How does that sound? I was quite liberal with a can of Gunk on thursday evening and didn't cover electrical components, might this have affected it?

It made for a pretty stressful drive as I had the good lady with me who was stressy, "my floors getting hotter..." tried explaining the location of the exhaust and turbo and distinct lack of any sound/heatproofing... We made it in 4 hours as kept stopping to let it cool down just in case RAC man was wrong...

300Tdi ex-military 90 (ex disco 300).

Does anyone have advice, opinions, ridicule that may help...Thanks as ever in advance.

Paul

Afternoon all,

I have a bit of an issue from the weekend - bit of an overheating issue (maybe!). Driving back from Leeds on the A1 yesterday and the (standard LR) temp gauge started creeping up. When it was verging on red I pulled over and popped the bonnet - all seemed fine. It wasn't leaking cooland, wasn't pissing white smoke from the exhaust, no lack of power. Waited for it to cool off and popped the coolant cap, at the normal level and flowing too. Called the RAC and the guy who came out used to have a Disco, seemed to know his stuff and reckoned it could well be the temp. sender...How does that sound? I was quite liberal with a can of Gunk on thursday evening and didn't cover electrical components, might this have affected it?

It made for a pretty stressful drive as I had the good lady with me who was stressy, "my floors getting hotter..." tried explaining the location of the exhaust and turbo and distinct lack of any sound/heatproofing... We made it in 4 hours as kept stopping to let it cool down just in case RAC man was wrong...

300Tdi ex-military 90 (ex disco 300).

Does anyone have advice, opinions, ridicule that may help...Thanks as ever in advance.

Paul

Also worth mentioning that we can rule out the thermostat as it was removed before leaving leeds (as it was running 'warm' on the way down....

Isn't removing the stat a Bad Thing? As I understand it, removing the restriction of flow results in steam pockets forming in the head and localised hotspots, a bad situation with TDi heads in particular from what I've heard.

Temp sender would be an easy/cheap change.