2005 Freelander - Good Buy or run a mile?

muscat

Hi All,

I have never owned a Freelander, but have been offered a 2005 model, 12000km on the clock, 2.5 l, leather interior, sunroof, auto etc for £10,500. This is my chance to get the missus out of the Vitara and into a proper motor. The car is on offer through the main dealer and comes with a warranty. Q - should I buy or run? Are there any bugs with the 2005 model that I should be aware of?

I must admit that sitting in the motor is a far cry from my Disco I or Defender experiences. Luxubloodery!! But is it a good buy? I would value some input from experienced Freelander owners...

Yours,

A Freelander Virgin,

Mark

The 2.5 V6 is probably the most exciting of the three engines, but the thirstiest.

The 1.8 K-series engine has well known problem of head gasket failure whichever car it was fitted to, be it the Rover 400/600, Lotus Elise, MGF or Freelander. However the engine in the one you are looking at is known as the KV6, and comes from the same family. You might want to research if many late model V6 owners have suffered HGF.

Whatever engine, they are lovely cars. You might want to hold out for the pick of the crop, the TD4.

Cheers

Blippie

not for a hot climate as they can't get hot air out of the engine bay

They can have oil seal problems later on in high milage cars well I say that but I only say that because my mates has just gone and we have been trying to fix it.

Otherwise there OK

• 1 month later...
not for a hot climate as they can't get hot air out of the engine bay

They can have oil seal problems later on in high milage cars well I say that but I only say that because my mates has just gone and we have been trying to fix it.

Otherwise there OK

My wife had a V6 for 9 months of which 3 months was spent with the dealer awaiting on a new engine due to Head Gasket Failure. As far as I have determioned V6's had the same problems as the 1.8's but it was not as well publisised as there was not as many on the road.

Have got an TD4 HSE Auto which I have had since new. It has covered 53500 miles in two and a half years, mostly hard and fast (I like landies because they stand up to abuse) and the only problem I have had is a seized rear diff which blew in spectacular fashion on the M8 in August this year. I have been waiting since the end of July for a Freelander 2 HSe which I am told will be ready next week. After the V6 the the TD4 was the last chance but it proved it's worth.

Hello Simon, nice to see you around again.

This your annual vist then? ;)

Deano

No, off work ill and got a little time to catch up with old freinds. I do try and look in from time to time but now being the boss time is at a premium.