8274 Cross Brace

LR90

Tonk,

I spotted this in tech archive (which is looking very good BTW Tony)..

this is just my take on a motor support, i didn't like the idea of supportin the motor from another part of the vehicle incase the bumper takes a shunt and shifts causing the support to put stress on the motor so i supported it from the cross bace on the back of the drum

Is the cross brace another Tonk addition or does it appear on later 8274s (no such thing on mine)?

And, as we discussed, I quite agree with your pref not to brace the motor off of some other of the vehicle.

Trev, its something i'm going to have done (I REALLY can't weld ally, it just ends up as a big mess on the floor <_< ) when I rebuild the winch. The setup I like best so far is Jim Marsden's support, very, very bling plus it adds a good deal more rigidity to the winch which is a very good thing.

I REALLY can't weld ally, it just ends up as a big mess on the floor

should this read that u really just cant weld anything?

:lol:

The setup I like best so far is Jim Marsden's support,

any pics anywhere? i'm not familiar with wot he's done

Tonk

was this adition after Ali drove into me putting a big V in his old winch bumper poping his 8274 apart mid way through a event.

That was fun stratening all that lot up for the next days competing, mind you the pair of you came third overall :)

as everyone says, its not there as standard, easy enough to make up though :P

yd1gxk.jpg

obviously i have done the same to the rear winch aswell :)

Hmmm, That sort of does away with one of the 8274 's best features and that is lack of cross rods to hang up on the cable if it gets bunched up or tangled.. I've seen a few winches of other models well bu**ered with busted cases when the cable jammed under a cross rod.

John