first gear judder

unclebill1

Any clues knowledgable people, disco v8 manual obviously, if I pull away in first I'm sometimes getting a nasty judder, can pull away in second no problems, low ratio no problems, and if I rev the engine slightly more than normal again no problems.

Newish clutch, has been abused off road but not that seriously I think, I am running oversize tyres which has upped the ratio by about 10% by my speedo reckoning.

So any ideas, I'm off on a longish trip soon so obviously want to sort it before I go.

Cheers Bill

Does it do the same thing in reverse? If so, then a text book clutch judder due to an imbalance problem. In severe cases the whole vehicle shakes and the problem is your new clutch - not Valeo is it? :lol:

Les.

No, not in reverse, and i asked for a Borg and Beck clutch to be fitted when it was changed, sorry Les

This can happen if the clutch has got very hot due to it be slipped. The friction material develops high spots and so grips poorly at times of very high load as when pulling away.

Mo

Does this wear off? My disco's come back from two months on loan to someone else with clutch shudder. Brand new clutch just before it went, but it's been doing a lot of stop-start towing and been driven by various people so may well have had someone riding the clutch as well.

Does this wear off? My disco's come back from two months on loan to someone else with clutch shudder. Brand new clutch just before it went, but it's been doing a lot of stop-start towing and been driven by various people so may well have had someone riding the clutch as well.

Yes same question, mines a newish clutch and I'm off on a longish trip in two weeks so I have to sort it.

In my experience clucth judder doesn't get better. It gets so bad in the end that the whole vehicle shakes violently when you try to pull away. It can also damage the face of the flywheel, which gets high spots and even micro cracks in the surface. The last bad clutch judder I did required the flywheel being replaced as it was too badly damaged to be refaced. It might be worth checking gearbox mounts - a busted one will cause similar syptoms, although more of a bump when you pull away. Clutch judder is usually 1st and reverse, so perhaps that isn't your problem Bill. Lie under the truck while someone you trust pulls away a bit sharply for a few feet - sometimes it can be seen/more easily identified from under the vehicle.

Les.

In my experience clucth judder doesn't get better. It gets so bad in the end that the whole vehicle shakes violently when you try to pull away. It can also damage the face of the flywheel, which gets high spots and even micro cracks in the surface. The last bad clutch judder I did required the flywheel being replaced as it was too badly damaged to be refaced. It might be worth checking gearbox mounts - a busted one will cause similar syptoms, although more of a bump when you pull away. Clutch judder is usually 1st and reverse, so perhaps that isn't your problem Bill. Lie under the truck while someone you trust pulls away a bit sharply for a few feet - sometimes it can be seen/more easily identified from under the vehicle.

Les.

Bill, my '02 110 displays similar symptoms, I'm afraid I don't know the cause. There is judder when starting from cold in first-high which is not apparent when starting from cold in any other gear.

The car behaves perfectly apart from this.....

Phil.

Any clues knowledgable people, disco v8 manual obviously, if I pull away in first I'm sometimes getting a nasty judder, can pull away in second no problems, low ratio no problems, and if I rev the engine slightly more than normal again no problems.

Newish clutch, has been abused off road but not that seriously I think, I am running oversize tyres which has upped the ratio by about 10% by my speedo reckoning.

So any ideas, I'm off on a longish trip soon so obviously want to sort it before I go.

Cheers Bill

Bill,

If it has been off-roaded is the wading plug in?

If not then then the bellhousing could have muck inside, the V8 could have given up in deep puddle. If the plug is in then take it out and see if any oil leaks out.

Worth a look.

Bill,

If it has been off-roaded is the wading plug in?

If not then then the bellhousing could have muck inside, the V8 could have given up in deep puddle. If the plug is in then take it out and see if any oil leaks out.

Worth a look.

Good point, yep she has been drowned a few times, more than I care to admit to and slindon mud is a law unto itself so I'll check that .

Cheers all for the input.

Could be the spigot bush in the centre of the fly wheel, rarely changed and if worn allow the input shaft on the gearbox to move excessively and cause judder when pulling away.

Lee

Lee, would that judder go away when the vehicle's warmed up?

Phil.

my 200tdi does this a bit but only since i have put bigger boots on it

not sure if mine is just a gearing issue (110 tbox to go on one day)

could be worth trying a smaller set of wheels n tyres before pulling the box out

I've found that the warmer the vehicle / drivetrain the worse the judder is. As well as the spigot bush judder can be caused from excessive play in the gear box internals, especially the input shaft.

Lee

All very confusing; mine's perfectly smooth once it's warmed up!

Phil.