RR Air compressor - what goes where?

FridgeFreezer

Picked this up at Sodbury, but have no clue which pipes / wires do what!

wtf.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the plumbing or the wiring? I've stuck labels on to make it easier to explain - although "D" is the solenoid that is mounted behind what I'm guessing is the intake air filter?

This is the compressor from a series 2 discovery, it usually lives on the side of the chassis under the passenger side, there is a top cover missing. I saw this at Sodbury and thought about buying it.

As I recall

"A" is the intake.

"B" is the air out via a solenoid which has connections not shown in the picture.

"D" is I think a pressure regulator, the top bayonets off and has a spring underneath.

"C" is the connection to the solenoids marked "E" which is full pressure from the compressor, these solenoid valves control the rear air bag pressures.

"F" is obviously the plug, try live into the brown wire.

This is all from memory when I played with one just the same last year, please don't blame me.

Very fine compressor and the solenoid valves make it quite versatile.

• 1 month later...

Just been playing with this, Nick is indeed spot-on.

The compressor seems to have a reservoir on the top, the outlet "C" is connected into it direct, the outlet "B" is via the solenoid.

One thing I can't make out is if it's OK to leave it running or if it requires a pressure cutoff to stop it exploding... and no I don't want to try it and see what happens! The pressure regulator connections are difficult to make out, presumably it regulates the main output from the thing not just one connection?

It certainly seems to flow plenty of air, no way of measuring scientifically what the output is :( guess I could get some fittings and try pumping up a tyre see how long it takes.

Just been playing with this, Nick is indeed spot-on.

The compressor seems to have a reservoir on the top, the outlet "C" is connected into it direct, the outlet "B" is via the solenoid.

One thing I can't make out is if it's OK to leave it running or if it requires a pressure cutoff to stop it exploding... and no I don't want to try it and see what happens! The pressure regulator connections are difficult to make out, presumably it regulates the main output from the thing not just one connection?

It certainly seems to flow plenty of air, no way of measuring scientifically what the output is :( guess I could get some fittings and try pumping up a tyre see how long it takes.

I would say it needs a cut-off switch. I use a RR one as the comprssor for my ARB and it (the cylinder, not the motor) gets rather hot when running for extended periods at highter pressures. It takes about 5 minutes to inflate a 255/85 from 0-25psi.. Not fast but faster than an ARB pump and much, much quieter!

Chris