Transfer Box Heat

MRWOO

I’ve noticed that these things get extremely hot to touch, I thought it might have been a problem on my 300TDi Defender but since it's the same on my new 07 Defender Ive come to realise these things get bloody hot.

I'm sure I have read a thread on this before and that the WOLF or some other military Defenders had an oil cooler either on the gearbox or transfer box.

It's not how fast I drive either because I never tend to go much faster than 60 for any prolonged periods of time.

Any thoughts on why this is and does it affect the longevity of it? :unsure:

Don't know that this is of any help, but has this been confirmed as a problem?

My LT77/LT85 get hot on a long run. If I've the window open, there's a noticeable heat drawn into the cab from the holes in the seatbox over the transmission, and the base of the hi/low range lever is hot to the touch.

All LR transmissions seem to get hot, I suppose you could stick some sexercisey oil in or fit a finned inspection cover a-la rocky mountain (I know they did series ones, not sure if they do LT230?)

MOD LT77's/R380's had oil coolers, I think you can just take the oil pump bypass piece off and thread in hydraulic adapters as the genuine setup is apparently very pricey.

As for cooling the LT230, you could look at an electric oil pump and cooler if you're that bothered.

All LR transmissions seem to get hot, I suppose you could stick some sexercisey oil in or fit a finned inspection cover a-la rocky mountain (I know they did series ones, not sure if they do LT230?)

MOD LT77's/R380's had oil coolers, I think you can just take the oil pump bypass piece off and thread in hydraulic adapters as the genuine setup is apparently very pricey.

As for cooling the LT230, you could look at an electric oil pump and cooler if you're that bothered.

No, I can't be bothered do anything about it, I just wanted to know if it affects the life of the box in anyway.

I guess it doesn't as there's plenty of mileage in these things, especially the later cross drilled ones.

I have one of the finned covers for a LT230 it bolts on in place of the large flat plate on the bottom, they also have a bit more capacity I am also going to use some of the sexercisey oil. I haven't run it yet so cannot comment on how much if any improvement it will give I suppose unless I fit an oil temp gauge I will not know.

Gaza

Have a look here, about two thirds of the way down there is a finned transfer box extension sump priced at 400 Rand (about £28). Might be what you are looking for ?

HTH

Mo

Well spotted, Mo! I have one of these fitted to my LT230, and reckon that it does work, mainly in that the oil looks less 'burnt' after 20 000 kms or so. We exported one to Silvio in Italy a year or two ago, and some guys used it as a pattern. So there are a few over there as well. Of course I have one because I work there :rolleyes:

My 1995 Defender does not suffer from heat from the gearboxes boiling your feet because it is a semi-locally-made version, not from a CKD kit, and has certain improvements for Africa. One is full heat insulation from the gearbox backwards. The stuff looks like hard foam with silver foil facing the hot bits.

I also have a TD5 R380 'oil cooler', not that it can do much good really, just being a length of pipe.