TD 5 disco

gsr341

hi , im asking this question on behalf of a friend , who has recently bought an X reg discovery TD5 .

his 3rd gear is knotchy (changing up the box only )

his gear box appears to be an R380 (same as my defender) is this right ?

ive recomend he change his oil see if that improves the gear change , as i had a similar problem with my 4th gear on the defender and an oil change sorted it out .

what oil goes in the disco box , ATF same as a defender ?

cheers for any suggestions help

regards

Dafydd

You can use ATF but the recommended oil these days is MTF94 which can be bought from a dealer. I have tried various sorts of oil and can't honestly say I have noted much difference between them and where there is, it is swings and roundabouts e.g. with the Difflock oil I found the change improved when cold but was crunchier when very hot if you changed gear in a hurry.

You could try a fully-synthetic ATF DXIII oil, but it is expensive. We put some in a Defender TD5 last week and the owner is happy with the gear change. The oil was Shell Donax TX, Castrol Transmax X is the same spec. It seems very thin and is pink instead of the red of DXII.

Personally I am still using MTF94, though will have to switch on the next change as my 20l drum is now empty and I can't get any more.

You could try a fully-synthetic ATF DXIII oil, but it is expensive. We put some in a Defender TD5 last week and the owner is happy with the gear change. The oil was Shell Donax TX, Castrol Transmax X is the same spec. It seems very thin and is pink instead of the red of DXII.

Personally I am still using MTF94, though will have to switch on the next change as my 20l drum is now empty and I can't get any more.

Castrol Transmax Z is also a good option. It's green in colour. Full synthetic and gives excellent protection and shift feel and quality. Can be used in place of Dexron IID or III or light/medium gear oils. Not cheap, though. You could try filling with a quality Dexron III mineral oil to see if that helps as a cheap test, and then refill with synthetic if deemed warranted. Note however that the synchro linings of modern boxes are porous and therefore it can take a a few hundred miles (and sometimes a flush) before the new oil really shows its characteristics. Doesn't really apply to the older-design brass rings. Not sure of the design and specific lining materials in your 'box.

One of the advantages of synthetic oils is the way they are formulated. Mineral oils get "chopped-up" very quickly by the shearing forces and lose a fair whack of their viscosity and cushioning within a few hours of operation. Synthetics don't really have this problem as they are almost insensitive to this effect and will hold their viscosity very well over time.

Just fitted Shell Donax TX (can you fit oil?) to a TD5 Defender. It looks very thin and is a sort of pink colour. Expensive, of course. Owner is happy, graunching 1st to 2nd when cold has stopped. Sorry, it is a fully-synthetic Dexron III oil.