What to avoid?

muddyplugger

I hold my hands up and say I know nothing (with a capital N) about Rangies, but I'm looking for a workhorse for aprox a year and have come across a local Rangie for sale (1987) V8 with 10 months tax/test for £800. It says is a good runner, but what are the major concerns here? What should I check for my £800??

I need it to last a year and then sell it!...... or maybe...........get into the Rangie thing? :ph34r:

I hold my hands up and say I know nothing (with a capital N) about Rangies, but I'm looking for a workhorse for aprox a year and have come across a local Rangie for sale (1987) V8 with 10 months tax/test for £800. It says is a good runner, but what are the major concerns here? What should I check for my £800??

I need it to last a year and then sell it!...... or maybe...........get into the Rangie thing? :ph34r:

Rust!

Rust!

And more rust...

What's the mileage? And if it's got to the 150k mark, or will do during your years driving, has it had head gaskets/cam/tappets/timing gear done (sore point - mines off the road at the moment courtesy of disintegrated timing gear)?

You can probably tell whether it's running well, whether the gearbox is well behaved (check it's got nice clean transmission fluid if it's an auto).

Check whether things like chassis bushes, dampers, springs are tired or whether they still have plenty of life in them.

How reliable do you need it to be? How much time can you afford to spend on it, or alternatively how much money at the garage? Realistically, old Range Rovers are a bit on the attention seeking side - there always seems to be something in need of work. On the other hand, when they're running right, they're fantastic - if you get one, you will get into 'the Rangie thing'.

£800 is pretty cheap for a tidy car, although there are plenty of ropy ones around for that money - you might get a bargain, but if you don't know Range Rovers you might get stung. By far the best bet is to find someone who does know what to look for and take them with you - if you ask nicely there might be a forumeer in you neck of the woods who's prepared to go along with you and give you some advice in return for a couple of beers :)

Lastly - and probably most importantly - there are plenty of Range Rovers around, so if in doubt, walk away.

someone mention rust?

some places to check are:

around the rear corners under the carpets around the floor....

hole01.jpg

hole02.jpg

plus have a look all round the rear sections of the chassis for holes anywhere - especially behind the bumper and the sections that hold the bodyt work to the chassis. I would consider this sort of state to be reasonably OK-ish....

hole04-chassis.jpg

also if your going to be taking passengers in the back, then pay really close attention to the bolts that the seat belts hold onto on the wheel well. This required minimal force to happen.... i.e. i just tried to undo the bolt normally and the complete section fell out....

hole05seatbeltmount.jpg

hole06aseatbeltinside.jpg

and that is just one corner of the car....

:rolleyes:

Just in case you did'nt get the picture Rust

So that's why you want a floor Donald :D

Another intrepid first timer friend just bought a very tidy 87 for under 500, the previous owner had obviously cared for it, including regular waxoyl and proper repairs. Told the buyer about slightly leaking head gasket and I think that was very reasonable money.

Mileage really doesn't come into it at that age, regullar servicing & condition are the most important factors.

Look out for Rust by the way. :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

Hi Muddyplugger,

I think I am the 'intrepid first timer' friend of Nialls! I bought a 3.5EFI 1989 Vogue SE that had done 122k. The owner was VERY nice indeed and pointed out many faults/about to be faults/things already fixed. He also threw in boxes of spares etc. I got the lot for £450 and as Niall says, it was very well looked after. Absolute bargain. :D

However, it did need all four discs and all pads replacing, the head gaskets doing and has an annoying idling fault (whose doesn't on this forum by the looks of things?). As well as this there 'ignorable' problems like central locking not always working, heater not working, leaking power steering fluid, sagging springs etc.. :(

So, from one first timer to another, you can get an incredible deal (I spent months checking out ebay and with ear to ground etc) for a base vehicle but will undoubtedly need to do stuff to it, possibly immediately. Fine if you've been doing this for years and it's second nature, but I currently live away from all the Landy lovers I met and it's a lot more difficult! Still lots of helpful people about (it's a Land Rover thing) but much harder to learn on your own. :o

They are fantastic cars and very, very nice to drive. My Father had one when I was very small and I fell in love with them, they are brilliant.

You will defintely become addicted. Great bunch of guys on here to answer questions though, which will definitely help!

Hope it goes well,

Hugo.

I paid £1100 for my 83 RRC. It has 10 months ticket, new front floor, boot floor inner and outer sills both sides, new bottom tailgate and a fresh service. In the year I have had it, it needs or will need:

Both swivels on front axle overhauling (to do),

Steering box leaks (used one from eBay for £40 to fit),

1 track rod to replace.

Wheel bearings,

2" lift done,

Poly bushes done,

A frame ball joint done,

Fluid change in auto box done,

Mine had none of the typical rust problems, and was mechanically good. That is why I paid a little over the odds.

So check for rust as above, check the electricals work. Replacing the heater blower is a dash out job.

Thanks for the info guys and the warm welcome :D I didn't get one in the end, but my Dad bought it! EVEN BETTER!

Its a V8 and sounds like the dogs danglies! No rust to speak of, but as the Land Rover nut in the family, I get the servicing and repair jobs! :blink:

With that in mind I will be using the knowledge here, so I'll be keeping a closer eye on this section from now on!