Rear cross member question (again)

Pudock

I had a little mishap the other day while out in the mud, so I've got a couple of questions.

IMG_3776.jpg

Assuming that this is not worth fixing and I get the cross member replaced, what is the best way to ensure this doesn't happen again. Should I fit 2 recovery points instead of a central one? If two, should they go in line with the chassis rails or just inside them. What type of recovery points do you recomend?

I cant weld by the way so it will be a garage job whatever happens.

Thanks

Stephen

OOps, bit of a mess, use a full rear cross member with extensions then you can get the old one cut off back to sound metal, 2 x jate rings one on each chassis rail will work with a 2 or 3 metre bridle attached with rated shackles. the tow hitch brace arms can be modded to allow the jate rings to fit as I've done to my 110. you can see I've turned them & swapped sides & scalloped them to clear the fuel tank.

post-20-1191013061_thumb.jpg

post-20-1191013101_thumb.jpg

Your old one has lasted as long as it has, so replacing it with a good quality item and taking the necessary steps to reduce how quickly it starts to corrode would see it last the same length of time. Blanking off the known mud traps and a decent coating internally and externally will help a great deal.

Les.

Thanks guys, I'm now a bit paranoid about recovering from the rear cross member. I know a new one will be stronger, just don't want the new one to go the same way.

Has anyone used this company before? http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/lrparts.asp

A bit more expensive than the Paddocks one but that doesn't always mean better.

Thanks guys, I'm now a bit paranoid about recovering from the rear cross member. I know a new one will be stronger, just don't want the new one to go the same way.

Has anyone used this company before? http://www.designa-chassis.co.uk/lrparts.asp

A bit more expensive than the Paddocks one but that doesn't always mean better.

i was going to buy from them, but they had been flooded the week i was looking to get a crossmember and it was all going to be a bit of a faff. they dont sell britpart ones, but they dont make their own either. the ones they sell are just spi ones as you may get from any land rover spares dealer. the advertised price was about £40 more expensive than other dealers, but there was a kick in the nuts when they said their online price was out of date and offered me it for £20 more than that. at that stage i decided it wasn't worth it and got one from famous 4. it arrived quickly from them and is dimensionally a good match. its no work of art, but its alright and at least the same shape as the original. it shall be getting some reinforcemnt and tidying up before it goes on.

i did a fair bit of research before i bought it, but its really difficult to tell what you're going to get unfortunately.

just make sure to use big spreader plates when you put your new one on. i found a 2ft by 1ft bit of 10mm steel the other day, i'll cut that into appropriate sizes to use front and back.

Your crossmember must have been well corroded to do that, I notice there are signs of previous welding and the tearing is in very thin metal. Check the hitch braces haven't distorted the chassis as well. Given that you can attach a NATO hitch to the middle of the xmember and tow 4 tons plus it's a common tow point in challenge vehicles, a standard crossmember is up to it. Spreading the load with a bridle to JATE rings is good practice though but don't believe they will fit with the standard hitch as the braces use the same holes.

Not good!

I replaced my rear x member with a Paddock one with extensions. I got it hot dip galvanised to give it an extended life.

The Dixon Bate tow bar is not the best if you are venturing off-road. have a detachable recovery point/tow bar (still to fit) so that I wont catch my tow-bar anymore - mine went in the same way!

phone:

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php

Ask for Tom (say Graham said to give him a call). They make mostly for the trade but are excellent people to deal with.

You get a pic of what it looks like when fitted here: look under recovery/towing

http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/

Hope this helps

Mine:

post-2179-1191661343_thumb.jpg