Cruise Control Defender

Hi,

Has somebody already fitted a Cruise Control into a defender TD5

There are several sellers on e-bay who sell a kit. And It seems that it's only 2 switches and some wires.

Is there somwere a fitting diagram?

cheers,

Sebbe

I have driven a number of vehicles with factory fitted cruise, some easy and some frightening to drive.

I have been impressed by these guys so much that I am 'landroverising' their window kits, central locking and reversing sensors. My 'demonstrator' Td5 is gradually being fitted with these modifications, and then I write a defender suppliment for the kit.

If your interested in popping over to the side of England nearest to you, Id be happy to help you fit the best kit.

http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_ELEC...SE_CONTROL.html

I can offer same prices as their web and also you get nicer tea/coffee than you get on the web.

Nic, their CDL kits, can they be made to work with a standard Td5 alarm?

should be able to Jim, as you just need a pulse or feed switchable voltage to solenoids directly. TD5 wiring diagrams show that solenoids are powered directly from 10AS ecu. Haven't got mine working yet - Mine is a base TD5 but I've put pins in missing holes in connector for 10AS and switched on CDL on ECU, but still not putting out a voltage like it should. I need to look at it again though.

Cheers

Steve

I have driven a number of vehicles with factory fitted cruise, some easy and some frightening to drive.

I have been impressed by these guys so much that I am 'landroverising' their window kits, central locking and reversing sensors. My 'demonstrator' Td5 is gradually being fitted with these modifications, and then I write a defender suppliment for the kit.

If your interested in popping over to the side of England nearest to you, Id be happy to help you fit the best kit.

http://www.sempal.co.uk/acatalog/SPAL_ELEC...SE_CONTROL.html

I can offer same prices as their web and also you get nicer tea/coffee than you get on the web.

Nic,

I have been looking at central locking for my 90, Do you know of a way to make the central locking kit work with my 300 tdi alarm system or will i have to have two key fobs?

Also can you use an extra motor on the back door?

thanks

rob

Thanx Nic,

When I'm in the neighbourhood I'll passby for that coffee ;-)

I've also seen several diffrent aftermarket systems. But post 2002 defenders have the same ECU as disco td5.

As the Disco Td5 have an genuine option cruise control and you also can post fit it to a discovery td5 would it be possible to do this for a defender as well?

From what I have read there are problems with the ones on Ebay, It seems they only work in 4th gear on Defenders....

Ben

Well actually my td5 has an automatic gearbox... so what ever I try I'll need to test it ;)

I've also seen several diffrent aftermarket systems. But post 2002 defenders have the same ECU as disco td5.

As the Disco Td5 have an genuine option cruise control and you also can post fit it to a discovery td5 would it be possible to do this for a defender as well?

Nope..

Same ECU, but different settings....

Also (and more importantly) the speed signal comes from the BCU on a Disco - which isn't fitted to a Defender.... so the Disco cruise control is a No - it won't work.

Ian

I just got confirmed this evening that the later td5 ecu's (NNN50020 etc) have basically the same software as the Disco-II and as such the cruise control is there also and can be addressed with some switches

They are the same ECU, but have different fuel and variant files (etc) on them to suit either a Disco or a Defender.... and you can't run Disco files when the ECU is in a Defender as you will get a few faults (mainly the temp guage)

In a Defender, the speed signal comes from the Speedometer (from the transfer box) as a pulsed signal. In the Disco II, the speed comes from the SLABS ECU - taken from the wheel senors.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Sorry to push such an old entry to the top but i thought i'd share some experiences with the cruise control.

The Ebay sets which are sold contain little more than a wiring loom and 2 switches. However, they do work on the MY2002 and upward Defender ECU's. There are some conciderations to make before buying these sets:

1) do you use the standard transferbox ratio's, if not the CC might not work or only works at 4th gear.

2) do you use the standard Brake- and Clutch switch configuration, if not, disengaging the Cruise might be an unpleasant surprise.

The fact that the Discovery uses a BCU to pass on the speed signal is not really important as the cruise function on the Defender still works (at least on my Defender).

I'm now working on a Cruise Control for the older types of ECU's (the MSBxxxxx ones) which should work in the same way the newer types are working and from what i've discovered untill now it is possible to get it working without upgrading the ECU to the newer MY2002 type.

Cheers,

Hugo

I'm now working on a Cruise Control for the older types of ECU's (the MSBxxxxx ones) which should work in the same way the newer types are working and from what i've discovered untill now it is possible to get it working without upgrading the ECU to the newer MY2002 type.

Keep us informed, I want to keep my current ECU and this was the only reason for me wanting to upgrade