New Freelander

nas90

A good friend of mine who has a 2000MY Freelander V6 petrol is thinking of part-exchanging the old for a new TD4 Freelander, possibly the auto version. He is thinking diesel for economy but anyone tried the new V6? at 3.2 litre it must go like a rocket :D Your comments, if any, on the new Freelander please.

Now being a devout Defender owner, I hope you don't mind me intruding on your little old forum here down in the darkest depths of LR4x4? :P

A good friend of mine who has a 2000MY Freelander V6 petrol is thinking of part-exchanging the old for a new TD4 Freelander, possibly the auto version. He is thinking diesel for economy but anyone tried the new V6? at 3.2 litre it must go like a rocket :D Your comments, if any, on the new Freelander please.

Now being a devout Defender owner, I hope you don't mind me intruding on your little old forum here down in the darkest depths of LR4x4? :P

Had a 2005 MY TD4 HSE which was due for replacement in April next year. Had already started looking in July and really wanted a New Disco but could not afford what I wanted. Upshot was I had a minor problem with my car and Landrover Assistance gave me a Freelander 2 TD4 Manual HSE for three days. Within 12hrs of collecting the car I was smitten and telephoneing the dealers. That was a Monday at the end of July.

By the end of that week I had placed an order for an Auto. My old FL was an Auto and I could have had a Manual much quicker but my enduring memory of the manual was the weight of the clutch which remined me of my classic Range Rovers.

Took delivery last week of a FL2 HSE TD4 Auto. have just done 500 miles in a week (normal for me) and I am absolutely smitten all over again it is a lovely vehicle. After placing my order I blew the diff on my old car, (whilst awaiting delivery of the FL2) this time LR Assist gave me a Disco HSE. Nice car but I prefer the FL2 better finished and more modern in feel the Disco needs updated and the "toys" improved.

I would certainly go for the Auto over the Manual, go for the Diesel over the Petrol the performance is exceptional for a diesel and is better that the Petrol if you look at the preformance figures. On my courtest car I was driving at 110mph without realising and have to be careful in the new car even though it is only a week old.

You are welcome here even with an old Defender :P although some of us have old Range Rovers too B) B)

Anyone who buys a non TD4 Freelander must be out of his mind. Everyone I know who has had a petrol one - including me (1.8 or V6) has had problems. I have heard of no problems with the BMW based TD4. Incidentally have a look at the US Freelander website which is all about petrol versions http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea90db?displayRecent . Some real horror stories there.

Dennis

Anyone who buys a non TD4 Freelander must be out of his mind. Everyone I know who has had a petrol one - including me (1.8 or V6) has had problems. I have heard of no problems with the BMW based TD4. Incidentally have a look at the US Freelander website which is all about petrol versions http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.eea90db?displayRecent . Some real horror stories there.

Dennis

Dennis

Before my TD4 my wife had the V6 what problems did you have? Headgasket probs? Ours needed a new engine after 26k. three months after we go it.

The new pertol engines are tried and tested from the Ford stable I beleive so there should not be the same issues as the old K series engines. That said I would not entertain the petrol prices will drop like stones.

Dave,,

Can not say i have tried the 3.2 in the Freelander, but in the Volvo, does go well !!

Heart would say petrol, but the brain will always say Diesel !!

Oh, by the way, is a straight 6 !!

Tim, how do they get a straight 6 in there?

Is engine East/West or fore and aft?

Being a straight 6 should be super smooth.

Did they bring the engine from the states? variable valve and all the latest gear! :lol:

Dave,,

Can not say i have tried the 3.2 in the Freelander, but in the Volvo, does go well !!

Heart would say petrol, but the brain will always say Diesel !!

Oh, by the way, is a straight 6 !!

Transverse according to the Land Rover website, bore and stroke almost exactly the same for both petrol and diesel. Impressive torque from the diesel.

No mention of LPG version from the factory, anybody know whether this is available?

Bought my Ford Connect van with factory LPG dual fuel and the Nas has a LPG tank so the 50pence a litre cost savings might be significant!

Had a 2005 MY TD4 HSE which was due for replacement in April next year. Had already started looking in July and really wanted a New Disco but could not afford what I wanted. Upshot was I had a minor problem with my car and Landrover Assistance gave me a Freelander 2 TD4 Manual HSE for three days. Within 12hrs of collecting the car I was smitten and telephoneing the dealers. That was a Monday at the end of July.

By the end of that week I had placed an order for an Auto. My old FL was an Auto and I could have had a Manual much quicker but my enduring memory of the manual was the weight of the clutch which remined me of my classic Range Rovers.

Took delivery last week of a FL2 HSE TD4 Auto. have just done 500 miles in a week (normal for me) and I am absolutely smitten all over again it is a lovely vehicle. After placing my order I blew the diff on my old car, (whilst awaiting delivery of the FL2) this time LR Assist gave me a Disco HSE. Nice car but I prefer the FL2 better finished and more modern in feel the Disco needs updated and the "toys" improved.

I would certainly go for the Auto over the Manual, go for the Diesel over the Petrol the performance is exceptional for a diesel and is better that the Petrol if you look at the preformance figures. On my courtest car I was driving at 110mph without realising and have to be careful in the new car even though it is only a week old.

You are welcome here even with an old Defender :P although some of us have old Range Rovers too B) B)

Thanks for your reply, not so much of the old Defender, he's only 12 years old y'know :P

Stick with the Td4 (unless you get a very good 2nd hand deal), The I6 is fast and a bit quieter but that does not outweigh the negatives in my opinion:-

It does way less MPG,

Road tax costs more,

Depriciates faster,

Costs more when new,

Always kicks down, does not have the ability to pull like the Td4.

The FL2 Td4 is an awsome vehicle, quick, quiet and comfortable.

Mark.

:P I purchased my first freelander last month. I have admired them since they first came out.

my wife kept telling me that we didn't need a 4x4 as we are now townies and dont need one.

Well that is all changed now! Our (October)2006 56 model Freelander TD4 Adventurer , has changed our lives.

We both like to drive the FL.

As I use it for work, my wife has to use it at the weekend.

She like me is smitten by the drive and feel of our new Freelander

Geordie :rolleyes::rolleyes::P