dam after market spares

nick w

Is it me or do all after market parts need major surgery before the will fit .Just cant understand how wrong the manufacturers can make these parts having just fitted new rear x member 4 out riggers and new front dumb irons i found nothing fitted corectly and all had to be cut bent or bashed get close to what i wanted everyone tells me ah its a land rover what do you expect which is true and the mods do add to the fun of the project but holes which are nearly an inch out come on BRITPART a little more effort please

Ahhh so i am not only cursed one then - share those feelings massively!!

Not long fitted winch and bumper - the bumper was so far out i had to take to local blacksmith and have him alter it and weld back together then drill out the holes for winch bolts to fit!

It's a huge pain in the ass.

I think it's partly LR tolerances - after all the vehicle is 30+ years old and manufacturing standards were different back then.

BUT in general, you get what you pay for with aftermarket bits, the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason - it's built quickly and with minimal attention to expensive details like accuracy or quality. I have given up buying anything non-genuine if the part is in any way critical, either in function or fit. Bearings, seals, filters, panels, bushes I just don't think it's worth saving a couple of quid on something that will be rubbish quality as you'll only have to do the job again much sooner, or have a whole load of mucking about to make fit.

I have bought non-gen brake pads and discs, and filters, but always branded. The unbranded / own make stuff from Bearmach, Britpart, Allmakes etc. I just don't trust - some people have found good quality stuff in a non-gen box (for example a GKN wheel bearing re-packaged) but it depends on who was selling them cheap that week, next time you might get a chocolate wheel bearing in the same box.

I always use Dunsfold where possible, they only sell Genuine (when they can get it).

Or even my local Landy dealer, although best to know the part no yourself before you pick up the phone.

Right on about cheap parts - penny wise pound foolish as Gran usetersay.

I think it's partly LR tolerances - after all the vehicle is 30+ years old and manufacturing standards were different back then.

BUT in general, you get what you pay for with aftermarket bits, the cheap stuff is cheap for a reason - it's built quickly and with minimal attention to expensive details like accuracy or quality. ...........

On the other hand a part should be fit for purpose by law, price is no excuse. If you buy a part it should fit. I'm not sure about standards being different "back then" 30 years ago was only in the mid '70s, I've owned cars made in the late '40's and spares fitted OK.

I have had my fair share of dodgy pattern parts.

Worst offenders being 'County' track rod ends from about 1989. I went through about 15 to get one that lasted the week. It got to the point where I was determined to find a good one but never did. However I got a full set from paddocks in a buy them all discount thing and they are still tight 5 years later.

On the annoyance factor was a series II clutch slave cylinder which I found to have the wrong thread in whilst trying to get the pipe in after fitting it all. I know I should have test fittted but a quick glance in and all looked fine.

Have you considered the possibility that the X-Member may be right and your landy is twisted? Probably not but possible.

I have had my fair share of dodgy pattern parts.

Worst offenders being 'County' track rod ends from about 1989. I went through about 15 to get one that lasted the week. It got to the point where I was determined to find a good one but never did. However I got a full set from paddocks in a buy them all discount thing and they are still tight 5 years later.

On the annoyance factor was a series II clutch slave cylinder which I found to have the wrong thread in whilst trying to get the pipe in after fitting it all. I know I should have test fittted but a quick glance in and all looked fine.

Have you considered the possibility that the X-Member may be right and your landy is twisted? Probably not but possible.

hope she aint twisted that much it only a swb i will be lookin out the side window whilst driving other wise

When I first got mine it sat lovely and straight. Once I put on a set of wheels that where all the same size things got decidedly lop-sided!

I never got it to sit true until I replaced the chassis no matter what I did to it.

dam you got me worried now mine is in the very early stages of restoration at the mo and not much lines up to be honest hoping its like a bridge and all will fit properly once all is in place still frustrated by them after market parts mind fitted the replacement foot wells today not bad but by no means good either