300tdi temp problem

Brasco

Did not know where to post this but... i am working on a range rover fitted with a 300tdi discovery engine couple to autobox.

starting from cold , the first 3km the temp moves up to the middle, then suddly it shoots up to border line red. there are no visible liquid leaks any where but when it turns cold again and checked, the expansion tank is found to missing about 3 inches of water.. quiet a lot !! any idea ??

thanks

yes basically, but i would check the others first.

what can happen is the pulley is being turned, but the shaft isnt spinning the impellor, so essentially isnt moving any water.

i would do a quick head test first (a little device filled with fluid you plug into the header tank), that eliminates the head.

then check for an air lock by giving it a good bleed. then check the rad isnt blocked. if you need to check the rad, let me know and i'll show you a real easy way, havnt got time to type it out now sorry!

hope this helps.

Remove blank plug from stat housing and rad, top up coolant in header tank until comes out of rad, refit rad bung top up coolant in header tank until at max mark STOP REFIT HEADER TANK CAP! top up coolant in stat housing until full refit bung, roadtest if still losing coolant hjead gasket most likely source if no external leaks.

Lynall

it was plastic...then i changed with a new plastic one nicely packed in a land rover branded sesaled plastic bag, but without the o-ring, and the parts dealer asked me ''do you need the o-ring too?? and so while trying to fit it in the radiator, it went sideways and ruined the thread :angry: so i went and bought an other one and after many attempts with caring and delicate touch, i manged to ruin it again :(:( so i went again to the parts dealer and he told me ...why don't you take a brass one ?? ... and me told him....why the F*** you did it tell me before you had brass ones :angry::angry: !!! and now the radiator sports a nice brass plug !!! <_< ....with an o-ring of course !!

To me it always seemed quite incomprehensible from day1, that LR should fit a plastic plug on something that is under pressure & gets very hot. They would say that the plastic is more than adequate for the job, (not to mention cheaper) but to me plastic is plastic & believe something more substantial should have been used.

One wonders what the failure rate/engine damage count, is down to this plug?

Reminds me of the infamous plastic dowel on the Td5. :rolleyes:

We throw away any plastic plugs on any vehicle that comes into the workshop. Normally they shear if you try to take them off anyway.. They do have a propensity(!) to cross-thread very easily which is maybe why so many used to blow off when the vehicles were quite new.

Not to be outdone.... LR then fitted the horrrrrrible placky plugs to Disco II diffs...

Not to be outdone.... We replace those with brass plugs as well

You can fit special ones that look like the placky plug but brass, with a shoulder and an o-ring. Or you can be cheapskate (like me) and fit brass end fittings from your local plumbing shop. Either is better than the LR offering.

Apart from cross threaded ones, I can't say I have seen a single plastic one blown out in eleven years working in the business. The diff plugs don't last that long especially if they get blatted by a rock. I have some of the X-Eng plugs to go in my rad but I haven't got around to putting them in yet. I do prefer the old fashioned brass ones and kick myself that I threw a couple away when I changed the radiator on my old 1987 90, they were fitted standard in those and I dumped the rad with them still in. Bah.

I have recently had two 300tdi thermostat housing placky plugs shear on removal. A bit of a bugger because then normally the bits end up inside so you have to remove the thermostat housing to get the rubbish out. And, as you know, the correct method to fill the coolant is to remove that plug. So maybe I am the only person around who does this - if you don't remove the placky plug it won't break. Or maybe it will when the owner least expects it and then bye bye engine. As you know, Steve, we have rather higher temperatures here than you do so have to be very careful with cooling systems.