Mach 5 alloys 50% off

wow300

Agreed Jules, but the upper part of the spring is not secured. It follows that if you had check chains for road use any dislocation system would operate in the same manner as standard.

Your probably right as its such a gray area and I've never heard of anyone ever being done for it.

but a standard dislocation cone is very simple but can you say the same of the massive articulation from the scorpion kits (I use them as a example and not a dig) can you say the same for the front axle kits and rear with people I know that have them reluctantly admit that speeds of ovr 50mph get worried as there truck become unstable,,,

having said that it could be construd that this is a result of a mixture of sring rate and shocks along with bushes now I'm getting lost :lol:

when was the last time you put a ford focus on a twist off ramp.

think how many 4x4's get wrecked buy garages that think there cars and maintain them as such then can't understand why the gearbox has no oil of diffs start to play up so on...

the MOT doesn't ask you to do a full articulating test does it.

would a dislocating suspension get through a SVA??? Do know would it be down to the inspectors interpretation yes very much so

If it is legal why don’t land rover build it into its current defender ????? Its undoubtedly a massive improvement to its off road ability with no affect to road handling.

SO WHY NOT

anyway

Your mot does not cover you windscreen on a defender as its detachable they still look at it...MOT is not worth the paper its written on as in a court of law proved a few years ago when a load of 16-17 years olds were killed when at 70mph a old Skoda back broke on the M3 causing it to plough into the central reservation killing the kids inside the MOT was 8-9 months old but not admissible as the ministry of transport defended the garage that issued the MOT as it only stands for the moment of the test and anything could have happened to the car there for it was only proof that that car was road Worthing on the day of the MOT. It all goes back to reasonably practical they can’t check a car every day that would be ridicules so we have the MOT

To confirm SteveG's point when I last looked my Mach 5's were steel not alloy so will someone please clarify what this post is all about.

John

Back O/T

Yep, Mach 5 are steel rims, i presume he is one about ZU Rims which look similar, but alloy, and are meant to be TüV approved !! so equal to any E standard let along kite-mark !! (if that still exists )

Also From a previous topic

sorry to go back OT briefly jules go and have a look at the front spring seats on a disco 2 they have a rubber dislocation cones i know this because i have a set of genuine land rover front dislocation cones on my tomcat so there for i'm assuming that they are in fact legal i don't think land rover would overlook this.

back nearer to topic there are a lot of uk companys selling usa spec tyres (BFG crawlers) which are illegal to sell in the uk (not E marked) but legal to use on the road because they meet the requirments i suspect it's a similar problem with mach 5s

but hey don't quote me on this its only what i've been told by someone with a much bigger brain than me(dosn't take much)

mike

I know that when Mach 5 wheel manufacture was being offered around a tests were done to see how they stood up and the loadings that they would take and the results were that bad the company refused to take them on. There were cases of the wheels not being able to carry the weight of a standard motor let alone a loaded one. But i am sure it has been advertised before that they were not suitable for road use. As for the aluminium look alikes as people say if they meet TUV there can not be much wrong with them.

• 2 weeks later...
to be fair though 98% of vehicles on this forum aren't road legal anyway so having dodgy wheels isn't going to make a lot of difference!

Jim i disagree some of us have trucks that work and even have MOTs etc just becuase yours doesnt work no need to take it out on us!!!!

Did they see the spring in free air.

I suspect not ;)

I didn't say any part or particular product was illegal it was more the action of the axle not being retained and the spring braking free from its seat.

My disco does have a rubber as Mike said but the spring can't brake free and are still tensioned, even if it can the shock runs though the centre of it so it can't possibly fall off.

So AGAIN find me a stock Land Rover that the front or rear spring release completely from its seat.

I don't give a toss about legality as I have bead lockers on the road and dis cone on my RR but its just prove to me they ARE I just can't see how the Ministry of Transport if they saw what some of these kits do to the performance and handling of cars on the road. Would they feel it was a good thing for jo-bloggles that normally can't drive for toffee just has a big wallet and can have this kit fitted and drive out of a dealer down the road and roll it would his insurance company not use it as a loop hole to get out of paying for his replacement truck :huh:

lee3.jpg

If a MOT offical saw this rear spring would he not question it ???

(Just a pic no offence if it's your car)

It could of had red diesel in it did he check for that.

Yes as a matter of fact he did...when checking to ensure that the fuel tank was full to the brim to weigh it to get the maximum unladen weight :blink:

anyway....you asked would dislocating suspension pass an SVA .....I'm just saying on mine it did...I'm not the inspector..I just submitted it...he passed it ...so its good enough for me, but then mine is SVA'd, not a stock Land Rover modified on a orginal type approval.

So we're arguing over nothing :lol: