Brake Diagnostic Help

RPR

'99 (effevctively a '98) US Spec 4.0 auto Disco 1. 102,000 miles. New standard discs and pads 2,500 miles ago. 235/85 MTs on factory alloys.

Long, spongey pedal - poor braking (even for a Disco). Changed the brake fluid and flushed the system last week. Bled well. No improvement.

What else should I be looking at or doing?

ps - New to Disco's and all modern conveniences ;)

Not got any experience of this actual model of LR, but from car servicing experience, you sometimes need to bleed brakes with the ignition on to run the ABS pump; just a heads up in case you missed that :)

I missed that - and it makes a lot of sense. Will give it a shot and report back.

Cheers

i would check the brake lines to make sure you havent got any small leaks. The brake system has a twin braking system that covers the brakes in a diagonal fashion.

This means that should you get a leak in one of the lines you still have brakes.

A small leak or abrasion may not be enough to show as a large drip on the floor but may still lead to air seeping in and causing the spongy brake feel.

I replaced the whole of my brake pipes with copper piping as the original steel ones tend to crack or abrade.

It wasnt an expensive venture around £50, cured it of its spongy brakes and now they are very affective.

Alex

If after a few bleeds its still the same i would say the mastercylinder is on its way out, Also check all the rubber hoses incase any bulge when you but pressure on the system as this has been know on a few cars i've seen