A Pleasant Surprise !!

Fatboy

Hi,

I've recently bought a wreck of a 2a and over the past week or so have stripped all of the major parts off to service / refurb and refit to a new chassis.. ;)

Engine will be a V8, I'm currently trying to pluck up the courage to Megasquirt it B) as I'm starting from scratch in so many areas (ripped out naff wiring loom etc).

Anyway, tonight I stripped the back axle and found that it didn't have the 10 spline, standard shafts I was expecting.... its got 24 spline jobbies, and they are not standard OD either. At the hub end, the splines are quite long and there is a circlip on the inside of the drive flange as well as the outside. On the diff end, the splines are about 10" long!! The main body OD is actually larger than the spline OD.

Any idea what make they are? (No pictures at the moment, camera is at work).

Then surprise number 2 was a KAM diff. :) ..... unfortunately, the pinion has two chipped teeth.

as it's a Kam diff, I'd wager they are Kam's shafts too.

Had a look at their website but there are not any good photo's... the ones that are there have shoulders on the inside of the hub end, not continuous splines and circlips.

Nice one with the 2min reply by the way :D

ISTR that KAM shafts have long splines for the locker to engage on as Bill suspects. Also, if you have identified the diff as KAM then it is almost a certainlty :huh: that the shafts are KAM too as it wouldn't function (lock) without them.

Nice find - probably worth more than the rest of the truck!! :hysterical:

Kam shafts have long splines on the long shaft only. the short shaft has normal length splines.

As someone else says a Kamm locker will not work without KAM shafts so.......

Jon

Thanks all. I'll take photos of all and sundry later just to clarify.

I'm stripping the axles to component parts to check / rebuild / paint and I'm glad I have...

One rear hub has a stripped thread for the drive flange, one of the others has been tapped out oversize

Two wheel studs held in with RTV.

Rear diff pinion has two chipped teeth :(

Back axle breather held in with RTV. (threads stripped)

Front LH hub only had one nut with the lock tab between it and the spacer!! :o

One stripped wheel stud.

Front drive flanges have excessive wear and need replaced..

Swivel housings dry and rusty however UJ's seem okay.

Front brakes are 11" drums (LWB?)