Squeaky auxillary belt

Guys and Gals,

A little while ago i posted about leaking coolant from beneath water pump. Have pretty much determined that its the P - gasket. Am just waiting till i come home from uni for xmas to fix it because me dad is driving it whilst i am away. Anyway i am back for the weekend and the squeak from the belt has got a lot worse. Its on constantly but changes tone with engine RPM. I have recently fitted a new alternator so checked belt condition then and it seems fine with no cracks or signs of wear.

Is it possible that some of the collant is leaking onto the belt and causing the really annoying noise??

Thanks in advance your always helpful

Just went out and wipped belt off i think the wheel bearing is stuffed so thats not a problem. But on second looking at the water leak the area where the P-gasket fails seems ok. The water is dripping along the front axle from the lip of the sump.

Here is a pic of the side of the engine which also looks wet!!

Any ideas??

post-2906-1195815923_thumb.jpg

Looks like 'P' gasket to me (or the core plug right next to it). If the bottom of the P-gasket is leaking then it might well come out in a different place. The one in my thread had gone at the top and was coming out of the casing higher up.

If you look at the line of rust - it extends up the mating point between the alloy casing and the block behind the cable.

Les.

With some vehicles the only way to stop the belt squeaking is to use spacers to get the tensioners all in line. I am lucky, mine has never squeaked at all, and I have changed all the bearings more than once, and the alternator. Some people find the Gates belt fixes the problem.