Onboard MMA inverter welder

Roman

Hi,

The UK Importer - Richard Dover, Brought one along to this years Tay Forest Challenge in August and then again in November to the Baskivlle Challenge.

I can honestly say that without this excellent piece of kit at leat 6 teams would have had to retire on the Saturday night.

Richard let more experienced welders play with it and if a team without any welding experience needed help he did it fo them - it was hammered for 48 hours without mercy and survived without any problems.

I don't think I can praise it highly enough!

I know that's why I just had to buy one!!

Ask anyone who attended either event and I am sure they would agree.

Regards,

Andy-T.

Just get one shipped. I dunno why people are always so wary about ordering stuff from the states - its not that bad.

Al.

I have ordered from the states many times,and always found the customer service far better than you would find in the UK.

The problem is the uncertainty of goods being stopped at customs,and import duty added.

Some work clothes I ordered were stopped,and the import duty and vat together added nearly 40% to the origional purchase price - with the shipping on top of that,the clothes were only slightly cheaper than I could have bought them for here.

Most small items sail straight through unnoticed.

I once ordered a titanium hammer from california by email on a sunday night,and recieved it at the site where i was working on thursday morning!

Last week I bought some arb solenoids for viginia - £27 each.

Devon4x4 want £68 each!

Sorry for OT ramblings.

A first post to defend all importers everywhere ..... a mighty task.

I agree that it seems like you're being ripped off especially with the exchange rate as it is but lets look at it this way. If you buy a ReadyWelder from the USA you'll still pay the vat and the shipping so your £225 becomes more like £325. If you then have a warranty problem you have to deal with the USA because either there is no UK distributor to help or they won't talk to you because you bypassed them. Next comes spares and consumables. US equipment uses US parts and although standard they are often unavailable here.

So the ReadyWelder.

I wanted one, so I bought 15 and starting selling them off so I'd get my one free. The cheaper model (hot tip) retails for £349 inc vat and shipping to mainland UK adn is a cracking piece of kit. It's small enough to fit in a corner and will happily weld 6mm steel at 12v. go to 24v (and you get the wire and clips to do it) and it'll weld anything you'll find on a Landy and tehn some (up to 12mm). No genny, No gas, No hassle.

At Tay Forest and during the Baskerville I welded many steering bars, track rod ends, chassis and bumpers all in the middle of a Forest. Speak to anyone who was there and they'll tell you how good value it is.

Be my guest and try to buy direct but please don't begrudge us traders trying to make a living, not everyone is on the rip off

http://shop.difflock.com/ready-welder-m-3.html?osCsid=067605ac136673800bb5c5eb7f01159a

rdover

8274 in the US $1200 here £1000

Ready welder II $499 here £449

winch ropes 3/8" x 125', 20,400lb winch rope, $274 bowrope as an example £183

and so on

I could go on and on

the prices in the UK are a rip off no two ways around it.

I don't begrudge anyone making a living but I do begrudge spending the money nearly twice what everyone else spends on the same item

rdover

8274 in the US $1200 here £1000

Ready welder II $499 here £449

winch ropes 3/8" x 125', 20,400lb winch rope, $274 bowrope as an example £183

and so on

I could go on and on

the prices in the UK are a rip off no two ways around it.

I don't begrudge anyone making a living but I do begrudge spending the money nearly twice what everyone else spends on the same item

OK,

Lets investigate your example:-

Winch Rope = $274.

Carriage quoted @ = $50.

Total = $324.

Import duty on rope, 7% = $23.

Total = $347.

VAT paid on the total bill @17.5% = $61.

Total in $ = $408.

Todays exchange rate $2.0690 =£197.20.

(Yahoo Finance)

Try it with any of the prices you quote assuming you plan to stay within the law, or just one of the many packages stopped on entry into the UK by HMRC!!!

I can' be bothered looking up al the import tarriff codes for each of your examples this late at night!

So. your point is we are being ripped off, really?

Andy-T.

Answer is simple,

The production costs are cheaper as the manufacturing quantities are much higher with a market that is 6-8 times larger, labour charges are lower.

US taxation is codified and simplistic - leading to easier production overheads and an ethos of serious competition that does not exist within the UK to the same extent.

All you have to do is shop around in our global village and you will find that the UK is hogtied with legislation, leading to almost 90% of the average salary being soaked up in tax - I know, sounds outrageous and I am happy to prove the figures if you want!

Labour rates are almost the highest in the world.

I could rant on this subject all night!!!

I blame everybody, except me naturally!!

Andy-T.

As for rip off prices white90 lets make sure we compare like with like .....

www.Difflock.com is selling as follows:

CS (cold start) model

Difflock: £449 inc vat and shipping.

USA : $549 ex shipping = ~£400 inc vat/duty and shipping

Hot tip model

Difflock: £349 inc vat and shipping.

USA : $490 ex shipping

Yes we're making a profit but I don't think 10% is unreasonable. To pay for my free one I must sell 10 or 11 at full price.