404 Unimog axle conversion

help alan

Does anyone have a solution to the grearing problem created by fitting unimog axles to a discovery 1.

Are there any landrover boxes or different higher ratio transfer boxes that will fit ?.

Or are there any other manufacturers gearboxes or transfer boxes that can be adapted.

1:1 transfer case from a 3 speed range rover auto with 38" tires gives you good gearing.

mated to a ZF4HP22 (4 speed rangie auto), you get 7 distinct and seperate gears with high 4th being a little longer than a range rover 3 spd in high 3rd. low first is somewhere in between low underdrive first and second. 5 speed manual gives even more interesting gearing.

alternatively an Atlas transfer case can be setup for pretty much any gearing you fancy, but is a bit of hassle to join to land rover boxes

HTH

there are also 2 flavors of 1:1 box, one which is stronger than the other, and i have one of both, unfortunately i don't know which is the strong one and which one is the weak one.

Thanks for the info, I would be interested in your 1:1 transfer box if you want to sell one.

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me what size of tyre you are running, and what top speed you can manage, as I want to keep running mine on the road.

Running 37x12.50R16's although they only measure 35" in reality. With 7.29:1 overall axle ratio my top speed is about 60-70, limited by propshaft balance more than anything as the props are doing the equivalent of 100mph+ if they were in a RR with that transfer box on. :o

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me what size of tyre you are running, and what top speed you can manage, as I want to keep running mine on the road.

I run a 3 speed Auto with a 1.003 {or whatever} tranfer box with 42" Iroks on 404 Unimog axles.

It will run at 60mph at around 4k

Low range is way too low probably 8mph flat out <_<

So i run an Ashcroft underdrive .So in high range with Underdrive engaged it will do about 25mph flat out !

This is not ideal though so i am in the process of getting some ring & pinions made around 25% higher ratio.

This will allow me to use all ratios & run the car more cooly & economically on road sections.

Well thats the plan anyway.

The transfer box is about to get the centre diff removeed & a spool fitted also front & rear wheel drive will be selectable.

Hope that helps. :D

What is a spool and how does it work?

Chris

Its mainly a yank term Chris..............

Spool

A spool limits differential rotation to exactly zero. A spool consists of a pinion & ring gear only, the centre is solid, the axle is one piece. A mini-spool is similar, replacing the usual differential centre with a solid piece, retaining the factory axles. Technically a spool is not a differential at all, but is used to achieve a similar effect to an LSD on some street & race cars.

taken from here.........http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

:)

Ian

Pete,

would you not be better off fitting a 4 speed auto, it's got to be easier than having new ring and opinions made up surely? Seeing as all 4 speed autos have a 0.75 or less overdrive gear you gain that 25% straight away?

Spool?

does this mean you have in effect an LSD as your centre diff- does that have significant advantage over a lockable centre diff?

Depends what lump you're running, having seen how the GKN handled Dave's TGV lump I'm not sure I'd recommend it on a truck that's driven hard. No idea if the RM unit would cope better (IIRC it's a different design?).

Not an option for me as I need the PTO hole for a PTO :D and as I said, the limiting factor is the prop speed, so diff gearing not gearbox gearing.

No body has yet mentioned the GKN or Rockymountain overdrive unit as a solution to the gearing issue.

Bill.

R&Ps £1500 per car set approx all i need to do is send them a R&P when i get 5 mins & yes the more the better :D

Overdive !! I run an under drive so i presume thats fck that idea. Plus GKN said it wont take the abuse.

4 speed .If i went down that route i would get a Yank box .But my 3 speed is about as strong as they come with what i have had done to it .The 4 speed they can uprate up will be about the £3k to do plus still wont be as strong. Plus different props etc etc.

But who knows ,not me thats for sure i just drive it like i stole it & hope it drives it self on the trailer at the end :rolleyes:

4 speed .If i went down that route i would get a Yank box .But my 3 speed is about as strong as they come with what i have had done to it .The 4 speed they can uprate up will be about the £3k to do plus still wont be as strong. Plus different props etc etc.

FWIW i have a 4L80e warranteed for 900lb/ft for 3 years (and they'll pay shipping if it goes wrong before that) and it cost much less than £3k- includes a 300m sun gear and main drive, kevlar clutches, full manual valve body, custom TC and a couple of other bits and bobs.

Whether it works or not is a question i'm not in a position to answer!

Depends what lump you're running, having seen how the GKN handled Dave's TGV lump I'm not sure I'd recommend it on a truck that's driven hard. No idea if the RM unit would cope better (IIRC it's a different design?).

Not an option for me as I need the PTO hole for a PTO :D and as I said, the limiting factor is the prop speed, so diff gearing not gearbox gearing.

I have an underdrive (Borg Warner Quadratrac adapted to series transfercase PTO hole) with a PtO winch drive unit on back of that. Can you get a PTo adapter for the back of the overdrive units ? I would have thought with portals and minimum suspension lift your propshafts angles would be fairly mild. With the flatter plane my propshafts are running at, my truck cruises with less vibration with 5.58:1 final drive ratio than it ever did with 4.7:1 non portal axles and suspension lift.

Bill.

1:1 transfer case from a 3 speed range rover auto with 38" tires gives you good gearing.

mated to a ZF4HP22 (4 speed rangie auto), you get 7 distinct and seperate gears with high 4th being a little longer than a range rover 3 spd in high 3rd. low first is somewhere in between low underdrive first and second. 5 speed manual gives even more interesting gearing.

alternatively an Atlas transfer case can be setup for pretty much any gearing you fancy, but is a bit of hassle to join to land rover boxes

HTH

Would a ZFHP22 4speed ragie auto box fit directly onto a discovery 1 200DTI or would I need an adapter plate.