Whats with the upright girders and sleepers

whoisashley

Hi was in Shadoxhurst Kent last night trying out some lanes down there and most had upright sleepers at one or other end. Most of them my range rover fitted through except one which was only big enough for a pug 205 with its mirrors off. Is this to stop fly tippers or am I in the wrong for going through. :huh:

If marked out a OS landranger and checked them against the the councils "explore Kent" website which has all the lanes marked on its interactive map

Plus there where green byway signs at the begining and ends of the ones i could fit through and at the second entrance of the one which was stoped by sleepers at the first end or does that not always ring true.

Hi was in Shadoxhurst Kent last night trying out some lanes down there and most had upright sleepers at one or other end. Most of them my range rover fitted through except one which was only big enough for a pug 205 with its mirrors off. Is this to stop fly tippers or am I in the wrong for going through. :huh:

Is this in Shadoxhurst Forest. A big lane from 1 end to tother is all roadstoned and about 1/3 way along it 's a 'T' junc and then the lane gets very interesting. Or it used to. When I first started laning I spent a very long night in there trying to get myself out. 3 veh went in and a long time later 3 veh came out. I wish that I hadn't gone in. It got very sticky very quickly. My X6 packed up and we ended up winch me forward with the winch from the truck behind. You can guess how long that took.

Not been down there in best part of 3 yrs now. Is it worth the journey?

Hi, The lanes in shadoxhurst are used requrley by fly tippers, the sleepers are they to try and stop them, but still allowing 4x4`s through, although it seems you found that one lane has them to close together.

You are not in the wrong as long as they havent got a Traffic regulation order on them (TRO).

The lanes are listed as a byway, then its ok,

The lanes in the Crundale area of Kent do have a temporary TRO for the winter period.

Hi there was a TRO on one part of the by way as marked on the pic.post-5798-1196537864_thumb.jpg

Even at night it was worth traveling for, just being new there was always the uncomftable feeling of uncertainty because of the posts. Though for me my favourite local byway so far has to be going towards Lenham from west well as it was like winter hadn't reached it yet as the leaves on the ground and trees were all the colors of autumn really brilliant hope to go back there and complete the whole route along the pilgrims way.

post-5798-1196537684_thumb.jpg