100 amp alternator

Hi

I'm preparing a overland journey (Sweden-Australia) and need to upgrade my alternator. I would like to fit a 100 Amp capacity upgrade on my Defender 130 -1997 (300Tdi).

I was surprised to find the huge variety in prices when comparing the different alternatives (disco alt. cheaper). Do you have any suggestions? Will one from a Disco 300 Tdi fitt and what are the differences between YLE10113 and AMR5425 (Magneti Marelli @ £93)? I find it quite odd that the AMR4247G, which is also a Magneti Marelli, but is listed for the defender is roughly £50 more expensive. The prices were from Paddocks.

I have very very bad experience from Britpart in terms of lack of quality concerning their engine parts. Are their alternators any good?

Help is Appretiated :)

Milan (www.adventurefamily.se)

Don't bother with the 100amp Marelli Alternator as they are pretty rubbish and hard to fix when they go wrong. Fit a Bosch instead, they last longer.

Chances are Britpart alternators are made in China. I wouldn't if I were you...

I upgraded the alternator on my 1996 300Tdi 110 from the 65A original to a Denso 100A alternator (as fitted to 300Tdi Discos p/n YLE10113 - Denso bought the rotating machines business from Magneti Marelli). This is a robust unit with a decent nose bearing & is suited to an offroad enviroment. Went straight on as they both use the 49mm poly v-belt pulley. I would upgrade the B+ wire at the same time to 16mm sq. cable (with heavy duty 8mm ring teminals) direct to the starter motor battery connection or better still direct to the battery.

Colin

--

www.REEDX.net/landrover

If I were going on an expedition I wouldn't be fitting anything made by Britpart :o

Sorry to jump in on this, I have a few questions regarding Britpart/ Paddocks. I'm very new to the whole LR thing, right now I'm in the process of compiling an order for all the chassis and suspension bushings from Paddocks, how do I know if they're OEM or Britpart substitutes? Also, how does Bearmach fit into all of the spares market? Anything I should know about these vendors?

With regards to the altenators, I'm not quite sure what's on mine appears to be Lucas, is it possible to upgrade to a 100 amp, I have a V8 engine with a/c, etc? If so then where to buy one, other than Paddocks and not break the bank?

Thanks,

Tracy

RE : as fitted to 300Tdi Discos p/n YLE10113

Ok, so that is a Denso. Should be allright quality then. I didn't know bosch is doing them. Does anyone have the part number ? Otherwise I'll call a Bosch agent tomorrow and post it here.

I'll go for a Bosch as first hand and the Denso second, if not to big diff in price.

Still unclear why a Magneti Marelli for a Defender is som much more pricy.

I'll not fitt a Britpart alternator. To be honnest, most of the Britpart items I fitted have failed in one way or another. Some pretty serious....

• 3 years later...