Wet carpets ?

Les Brock

Yes........I know its a Disco :lol:

SWMBO's carpets are getting wet (never used to :rolleyes: ) removed all the carpetss and sound proofing etc, passenger side is dry as a bone, drivers side looks to be coming in via the screen, I can lift up the bottom edge and see back to the A piller edge, is it a case of wacking it down with black silicoln or is there some thing "proper" I should be using ? :unsure:

persumably just de-grease and clean it up beforehand etc

Never have this trouble with the Hybrid...just harvest the mushrooms monthly !

over to the grown ups :D

Ta ! :)

what are you lifting up and looking through?

is it new enough to have a bonded windscreen or is it a rubber seal one? if bonded, the trim is just for show, doesn't play any part in the waterproofing so if you can lift it up it makes no difference

have you lifted the carpets and checked for cracks around the body mounts on the bulkhead as I had the same problem and it was cracks in the floor, quite a common problem on 300Tdi age vehicles

Doh !....... :ph34r:

Ment to say it was a series 1, 200 Tdi

Lifting up the rubber seal in the bottom drivers side corner !

No cracks etc at floor level, used the old chalk on the steel trick to show up the run marks B)

Def coming from the windscreen area !

Marcus,

Had that problem a few years ago, the only reason I found it was the radio stopped working, when I pulled it out there was a inch tide mark where it was under water :lol:

The tray in the transmission tunnel where the back of the radio sits was full, this was coming in via the seal on the heater matrix where the drain holes were blocked in the well under the screen :o

Doh !....... :ph34r:

Ment to say it was a series 1, 200 Tdi

Lifting up the rubber seal in the bottom drivers side corner !

No cracks etc at floor level, used the old chalk on the steel trick to show up the run marks B)

Def coming from the windscreen area !

Les,

What is the "Old chalk on the steel trick"? I am trying to locate a leak in the boot of my newly aquired P38.

Nigel

Nigel,

I just stripped all the carpets out, run a strip of chalk (I use it side ways to get a wider band) around the area affected, as the water runs over the chalk it washes off...and hopefully above/around is where the water is coming in :unsure: ....depends on if its tracking of course but it gets you in the right area.

Dosn't always work :rolleyes: , but it has for me on several cars :D

I had a water leak on the passenger side and after removing the plastic kick panel found that it was coming from the area where the steel bracket that suports the dash is bolted through to the inner wing. A finger tip dab of roofing sealent stopped the leak. Silicone didn't stick

U will need a bright touch to see any thing amongest the wires etc under the dash.

Regards

It may sound stupid but are your alpine light window seals in good nick? I had a wet passenger footwell and could not find the leak. In the summer ( what little there was ) I removed the alpine windows to tidy up a bit of rust. New rubbers had been fitted by the previous owner but he didn't bother with the odd rust spot. Not only is the rear now dry but so is the front footwell despite the recent monsoon showers !!! Must be a convenient channel in there somewhere. ;)

Jules

I had the same problem a while ago. Initially thought it was a blocked drain for the air con but that wasnt the problem. After a lot of spraying with the garden hose I found the water was coming from the bottom of the heater motor into the passenger footwell ( mines LHD ). The water was coming over the top of the air intake which is under the scuttle panel. I removed the panel and lifted the window seal as much as possible and filled everything with silicon. Its never leaked since and the carpets are still dry. I did remove all the soundproofing from inside as this was soaked through. This is where you need a mangle as that stuff just holds water like a sponge. I left it on the line for a few days to dry out, luckily it was in the summer. I'm getting my windscreen replaced over christmas so I'll look further when the windscreen is out.