Plasma Question?

simonr

How dark a visor should one use? My welding mask goes down to 7 and that seems far too dark!

I'm almost tempted to think a pair of sunglasses would be about right!

By the way - the plasma cutter is brill! It came from a company called John Davies and cost £430 inc. Although it has clearly been built to a cost and things like the carrying handle and regulator are very chocolate (it works though).

The torch is OK, but not fantastic but the unit itself is pretty well made. Had it apart to see how it's put together and I cant fault the internals.

nplasmalg30e.jpg

It's quoted as 30A output and is pretty good at blowing 13A mains fuses on full power!

[HSE Ears off] A bit of tin foil fixed that though! [/HSE Ears Off]

There is a knob to vary the power between 15 & 30A. It easily cuts 1/4 plate (pretty neat). 8mm OK, but untidy. 10mm only just penetrates, cuts with a couple of passes.

Every home should have one!

Si

I'd just like to point out that there is only one official type of Plasma. All other are Synthetic Winch Line.

In future on this post can you please refer to it as a "Synthetic Winch Line" cutter, or SWL cutter would be ok too!

Thanks

Steve :P:lol:

I've got some of those flippy-up-shade type regular goggles and I love them. Don't have to fiddle too much - just flick the dark bit up and down without removing the whole thing each time.

I *think* it's a shade number 5. Everything looks green through it rather than black, and you can just about walk around with the dark bit down if you go slow and the lights are on!

That's a good price - does your electrics trip out when your air compressor kicks in? How much air does it use? Mine is a portable one with a built in air compressor (used it on my boat and stuff, so portability was a good idea). The weakest link always seems to be the internal compressor's air supply not blowing the molten metal away. I wondered about connecting it to a large compressor when in the garage.

Anyway, hope that helps, Al.

I've got some of those flippy-up-shade type regular goggles and I love them. Don't have to fiddle too much - just flick the dark bit up and down without removing the whole thing each time.

I *think* it's a shade number 5. Everything looks green through it rather than black, and you can just about walk around with the dark bit down if you go slow and the lights are on!

That's a good price - does your electrics trip out when your air compressor kicks in? How much air does it use? Mine is a portable one with a built in air compressor (used it on my boat and stuff, so portability was a good idea). The weakest link always seems to be the internal compressor's air supply not blowing the molten metal away. I wondered about connecting it to a large compressor when in the garage.

Anyway, hope that helps, Al.

It uses a lot of air! The supply to the workshop is 45A and it seems OK when the compressor cuts in.

I'm very impressed with the cutter. Spent most of today making cool stuff with it!

I'll get some gas-goggles with flip-ups I think!

Si

It uses a lot of air! The supply to the workshop is 45A and it seems OK when the compressor cuts in.

I'm very impressed with the cutter. Spent most of today making cool stuff with it!

I'll get some gas-goggles with flip-ups I think!

Si

Watch it Si,

People will mistake you for the Salvager.... :lol:

But slimmer of course ;)