upgrading 200tdi brakes

russ1

Grooved and cross drilled discs on a defender? Err... why? Unless you're aiming to do a few track days with it you're really not going to notice too much of a difference over stock discs. If you're after better road braking you'd be much better off looking at the pads you're using and fitting some stickier tyres (read as road pattern instead of AT's or MT's) to it than messing with the discs and calipers.

FWIW - cross drilling and grooving was a way of increasing the cooling of the disc, reducing or eliminating the effects of 'gassing' when the brakes are used hard over a long period and for reducing the unsprung mass of the car (prior to the advent of carbon brakes) - all of this was for racing purposes and, as such, more or less useless on a 4x4, unless you're going to race it.

What the cross-drilling and grooving will do is seriously reduce the life expectancy of your pads, provide a really good area for stress cracking in the disc (which is pretty seriously bad news if it happens when you really need the brakes) and look ever so slightly cooler to Studly McNonuts and his chav mates in their mum's 1.4 Corsa with the Max Power stickers in the rear window ;)

Cheers,

ADZ

Sorry dont think i explaned myself very well it was more the vented parts i was asking about just the only pic on craddocks was the above ones, was just looking to see if i could use the wider vented ones insted ov the solid ones.

Thanks

As the other guy replied - yes with the right calipers for the vented discs. You'll still get a better result fitting colder pads or stickier tyres first, vented discs only cool down faster than solid ones, so are better under prolonged braking or braking from very high speed (brakes don't work when falling down mine shafts or while being towed by the 9:15 Paddington to Penzance express which are, apparently, the only ways to make a 200 Tdi defender go at high speed) - I've yet to get mine even close to fading with solid discs all round, same year and model as yours ^_^

Wasn't trying to imply you should be driving a Corsa :o

Agree with ADZ above. Spend your money sorting out what you have and you will notice a considerable difference. Stock Defender brakes are perfectly good for all but the most extreme applications.

At 1993 you probably have disks on the back. If not and you really feel you are underbraked then this maybe worth looking at.

Vented disks on a 200tdi :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: (Sorry - couldn't resist :P)

Guest diesel_jim
Vented disks on a 200tdi :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: (Sorry - couldn't resist :P)

I fitted standard vented front discs on my 200Tdi when i had one (90 with 7.50 tyres), and buzzing around the hills in Wales on greenlane weekends, i really noticed the lack of brake fade coming down the steep ones compared to when i had the solid discs.

Try driving down the A39 Porlock hill 1 in 4 with a heavy trailer attached without touching the brakes, they will get very warm regardless of being in a low gear.

Heavy trailers should have their own brakes...

We weren't talking about trailering, but there is always a low enough gear. Do large trucks ride their brakes down steep hills??? I think not.

Strangely enough there are hills around here as well.