2005 Def TD5 engine in 2000 Disco?

stobbie

Hi, I drive a 2000 Disco TD5 with about 200000 miles on it. Still excellent though. I also have a spare td5 engine from a 2005 defender with only 6000 miles.

I'm thinking of putting the newer engine in my disco and selling the old one while it is still ok.

Is this a straight swop and is the only thing I need to do programming the new injector codes to my ecu?

The ECU's are very different, so better to swap them over completely as they will be running different maps etc too.

The question is...WHY? You say the 200K engine is fine, so leave it be, until the day it dies its not worth messing about and potentially introducing a less reliable unit into the car.

ECU's and injectors are different and need to be right for each other, the later injectors (post 2002 model year) have higher injection pressures. I'm not sure if everything else is compatible but you certainly need to ensure those bits are matched.

Hi, I drive a 2000 Disco TD5 with about 200000 miles on it. Still excellent though. I also have a spare td5 engine from a 2005 defender with only 6000 miles.

I'm thinking of putting the newer engine in my disco and selling the old one while it is still ok.

Is this a straight swop and is the only thing I need to do programming the new injector codes to my ecu?

Is quite easy...

Apart from a few differences, the Defender engine will fit your Disco...

ECU wise...

Fit the later ECU from the Defender if you have it - as you want (well, ideally need) a later EU3 Flash - NNN type - to match the later engine - there are quite a few differences between EU2 (MSB****) and EU3 (NNN****) engines and ECU's as already mentioned. (there are also various different MSB and NNN ECU's but will ignore that!!)

Then you need to have the Defender files (on the NNN**** ECU) changed for a Disco set up.... teach it your BCU code and away you go....

Followed by a remap ;)

In short (have typed this out in the past)

There are quite a few differences between early and late engines, and as such, there are differences in the ECU's.

Physically, you can run any ECU on any engine, and although it will run, it would not be ideal and you will get quite a few spurious error messages (among other things). Also, if you try to run a Disco spec ECU on a Defender the temperature gauge will work the wrong way round.

Really....

If you running a post 2002 engine, you want to run a post 2002 Flash Type (NNN****) ECU and if you are running an pre 2002 engine then really you want to run a pre 2002 none Flash ECU (MSB****)

However, there are a few exceptions....

Land Rover no longer supply none Flash MSB ECU, and have superseded them with the later NNN type - to coincide with this, they wrote a fuel and variant file suitable for the earlier pre2002 engines. So you can flash a NNN ECU with these files, and it becomes suitable for the earlier type engine.

I can also modify a non-flash ECU, and make it suitable for a none-flash engine - but this isn't really that cost effective to do (easier just to get a second hand NNN ECU)

Obviously, which ever engine and ECU combination you fit, you also need to change the fuel injector codes to suit, and get the engine ECU to 'learn' the Alarm 10AS ECU or BCU on a Disco

Ian

dont forget that u might have 2 use the diagnostics to change the ecu from 2 to 3 pin accelerator poti.

i just done the same swap what you did.i put a 2005 engine in my 2000 110. i used the ecu that came with the 05 engine. all we had to do programme my immobiliser into it and change the poti config.

obviously followed by a je stage 2 remap.

JJ