What T-box in our new truck

Gromit

We're about to acquire a new family member, a 1985 110 commercial. :D

It's been retrofitted with a disco 200tdi with an LT 77.

The transfer box is a chain drive Borg Warner. I don't know anything about these. :blink:

I had a look around Ashcroft's site but they don't publish ratios for it. The only thing I could find out is that it used to be fitted to RRCs V8s, but this 110 used to have some other petrol engine, not a V8.

It seems to be geared very low. By 50-55mph I'm looking for a 6th gear. Does anyone know what ratio this box is?

Does it take EP90 or ATF?

What would our options be for a 6th gear? Can these be fitted with an overdrive? If not I suppose I could change it to an LT230.

Any info on these boxes would be great :)

Cheers,

Some more info that I forgot in the first post:

The high-low lever was linked up in reverse. Difflock was the normal way around.

I've been reading up on the Borg Warner - are they all VC difflocks? because the difflock light came on when the lever was moved to the left. Maybe that was just the remnants of the switch? Hmmm. <_<

The high-low lever was linked up in reverse. Difflock was the normal way around.

I've been reading up on the Borg Warner - are they all VC difflocks? because the difflock light came on when the lever was moved to the left. Maybe that was just the remnants of the switch? Hmmm. <_<

Sounds to me as if you've got an LT230 transfer box in there. AFAIK the BW chain driven box only ever came with a viscous centre. There won't be a difflock light switch on the BW box for the same reason. The lever itself doesn't work the switch - that's activated by the centre diff itself.

Matt

whoever did the conversion may have connected the reverse switch and the diffflock light ??

As said previously, BW transfer box won't have a diff lock so moving the hi-lo lever left can't operate it. If the vehicle was originally petrol, but not V8, then it would have been 2.5 four cylinder. Transfer box would have been LT230 with a high ratio of 1.6, hence why it seems to rev hard at 50-55mph.

As said previously, BW transfer box won't have a diff lock so moving the hi-lo lever left can't operate it. If the vehicle was originally petrol, but not V8, then it would have been 2.5 four cylinder. Transfer box would have been LT230 with a high ratio of 1.6, hence why it seems to rev hard at 50-55mph.

Thanks for the info. I think the seller mentioned a 2.5 petrol alright, which would make sense.

I hope all will become clearer when the truck is collected tomorrow night and we can have a proper look at it. Will keep you posted.

Original post and a later reply from the original poster says its a BW chain drive and that it looks like the BW on Ashcrofts site.

Wern't the BW 1.003:1 in hi?, also is the Hi/Lo the right way around? not thinking its in Hi as that is were the lever says it should be but is actually in Lo, try the other ratio.

Ok, an update:

I've confirmed that the transfer box has a manual difflock, which works and it says Borg Warner on it.

Here's what the box looks like from the rear. Sorry is a bit rubbish, it was cold and dark out.

DSC_4666.jpg

Anyone know what it is then?

Looks to be a Borg Warner NV225 from a RR Classic from VIN JA610294, EPC shows a manual shfit lever for high/low changes.

this is the drawing from EPC.

I'll get some more paper for my printer I'll be able to extract the relevant section from my RAVE CD's & post it over, can you PM your postal address to me again.

post-20-1198095910_thumb.jpg

Hi ya Ralph,

Cheers for the info. Does the EPC also show a manual difflock or just hi-low?

The strangest thing is that the previous owner swears that this t-box was in the 110 from the factory :o<_<:hysterical:

That drawing looks very much like the picture on Ashcrofts.

Ralph, thanks again. Think I'll give BW a shout and see what they think about it. (hopefully it's an uber rare prototype, that will be worth enough to get 2 new LT230s, one for this truck and one for my own :P;) )

Will be pulling the top cover off soon to sort out a dodgy reverse light switch, so will see what I find then.

Props and diffs are on the right, as normal.

Cheers gents, the mystery continues.

don't forget we would like to see photo's too :D

Will take some decent photos underneath tomorrow in daylight. Photos to follow when we pull the transmission cover.

Was working on my own truck all day, fitting new doors.

Can be helping out/educating the sister all the time

:D

That doesn't look like the RRC or P38 Borg Warner to me. I've got one on the racer and its been in and out so many times this year that I am quite familiar with what it looks like.

Also the BW fitted to these vehicles did not have a manual diff lock.

I am afraid I've got no idea what it might be, doesn't look much like a LT230 either. I think BW will be the best place to get definitive info from. I don't think I've seen one quite like that before.

Cheers

H

• 2 months later...