Water pump not sealing

Further to the post the other day, the P- gasket is sorted but the water pump is now leaking!! I have put a new gasket in once and it leaked then put some sealant in with another gasket and it also leaked. There was some remnance of the old gasket but not a lot. I have stripped it out and cleaned the faces back to original state. So the question is tomorrow do i use sealant (if so how big a bead) or just the gasket on its own??

Cheers

fit the pump while the RTV is still wet otherwise it won't seal properly & go around the inside of the holes, don't let any get in the hole bores. & give it a few hours to cure before adding the coolant fluid.

I just use the gasket & don't bother with sealant.

No i didnt i just got a new gasket the p - gasket was fine this morning as i went out and brought it up to temperature then the annoying water pump leak. I put RTV round the p gasket so it should work the same for the wpump. To be honest i think that if i put the gasket on when its wet it should be ok but i will let you know tomorrow night!!

You only need to use a very thin layer of sealant - put it on the gasket and level it out with your finger to make an even layer. Clean the bolts and coat them with coppalsip grease to prevent them from seizing in the future. Refit the pump while the sealant is still wet and let it dry for a while (proper rtv sealant sets quite quickly). It's liklely that the pump will leak from the bottom, right hand side - this is because water continues to leak out at this point even with the system drained down and the sealant is put onto a wet surface. You must ensure that the gasket face of the pump and housing are completely dry and grease-free.

Les.