300tdi auto or manual?

roachy

Firstly hello everyone, i'm new to this forum and have already found a wealth of usefull infomation.

here goes,

I have a 1984 90 pickup with a 2.25 petrol engine and lt77 g'box(i'm pretty sure). i managed to pick up a 300tdi auto disco mot failure with a re-con engine with only 20k on it, wich i have striped and disposed of. i'm pretty confident on how to do the conversion with all the info available on the net.

the problem is i dont know weather to use the auto gearbox from the disco or keep my lt77, personally i've never owned an auto and i love manuals but i only use the 90 offroad and greenlaning. any opinions or advice will be muchly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if the backplate and flywheel from my 2.25 will fit onto the 300 engine?

i also got the rear axle off the disco and it has a 3bolt flange, can i just change the flange with the one off my 90 axle, and is it easy to do?

cheers for any info

• 3 weeks later...

Right, i finally decided to keep the manual (LT77) gearbox.

Just for anyones future refrence, the 2.25 petrol backplate can be fitted to the 300tdi in two ways, either

1. Remove the 300tdi crankshaft seal and its mounting plate and use the petrol seal (same size crank)

2. Retain the 300tdi crank seal and cut/machine/butcher a D shaped hole in the 2.25 backplate so it fits over the 300 seal mounting plate. (i chose this route as i have access to a machine shop and think the 300 seal is a superior item.)

The 2.25 flywheel bolted strait on aswell with no problems, this also allowed me to use the 2.25 starter motor.

Hi Roachy,

Not sure if the petrol starter will have enough torque for the 300Tdi, and also even though the flywheel fits , it may also be too light for the Tdi . As JST says are you selling the autobox/torque converter/etc? and if so how much...?

.....I'm in Suffolk too.. :P ...

Welcome to LR4x4 btw :)

Cheers

Steveb

sorry fellas i don't want to sell it yet as i still might put it in, if i change my mind you'll be the first to know.

JST i have heard mixed arguments for and against the auto, (that was the main reason for this thread but not many responses) for ease of fitment i just kept my lt77 for now but im not sure how good that box is. i'm probably going to swap it in the next year either for the auto or an R380 so still need to decide.

steve, i was also worried wether the starter would have enough grunt but the 300 one had a different gear so wouldn't work with the flywheel, anyway i turned it over yesterday and it seems fine, yey! also the flywheel is heavy as f**k so it should be fine, mabey a few grams difference but not enough to affect the running of it. where abouts in suffolk? im just outside Sudbury, do you get over Bures pits much?

....Yep, go to Bures regularly to Marshall the Pay and Playdays....I'm based in Stowmarket so mid-suffolk area. I'm the one with the tastefully restored 109sw :P , caged and twin hydro winchs, hope to see you there sometime B)

Cheers

Steveb

post-1339-1199610073_thumb.jpg

[JST i have heard mixed arguments for and against the auto, (that was the main reason for this thread but not many responses) for ease of fitment i just kept my lt77 for now but im not sure how good that box is. i'm probably going to swap it in the next year either for the auto or an R380 so still need to decide.

I'D definatly keep the auto if I were you,once your used to it off road you wont regret it,the're a lot kinder to the rest of your transmition too,slight down side is you've gotta keep em cool.

for serious off roading i would def go for an auto, downsides are the engine braking and overhearting. much kinder on the transmission and much less the think about with no clutch. left for brake, right for accelerator. quicker changes for fwd to rev trying to gain momentum etc and easier to control for tight maneuvers i would have thought.

cheers for the advice fellas, i had heard that auto's were awesome off road but also that many people prefered a manual, as i already have the auto box i may aswell give it a go later in the year, i can always change it if i don't like it.

steve are you going to bures on the 13th? if my truck's finnished by then i'll probably make an apperance, see if i can break it, lol. i've only been there once, had to use the old tow rope a few times, before it snaped then had to enlist the assistance of the nearest unimog. Nothing like getting muddy on the weekend!!!

Yep I will be there so if you do make it say hi :) ...and on the autobox front I'd agree with what has been said , for offroad they can be an advantage, winch and drive being one aspect where they gain over manual - see if you can find someone with an auto to try offroad to get a feel for it...

cheers

Steveb

Yep I will be there so if you do make it say hi :) ...and on the autobox front I'd agree with what has been said , for offroad they can be an advantage, winch and drive being one aspect where they gain over manual - see if you can find someone with an auto to try offroad to get a feel for it...

cheers

Steveb

nas V8 auto................................................ :D