Violent wheel shake !

katluke

Whilst travelling along the A66 last night I hit a pothole and the front end started shaking all over,I was travelling at 60 mph.I slowed down and then after a while it just returned to normal.It was bad enough to nearly induce a calvin staining moment.I have done a search but it seems there is so many possible causes I thought it would be better to explain what happened to narrow it down a bit.Thanks for any replys.

how big was the hole?

could be wheel damage, or more likely tyre damage. inspect both to start. alternatively look at the front swivels, as you will get shaking from them when the wear, a pothole could just tip them over the edge i suppose.

if its wheel & tyre damage, then go back with camera and ruler (conventional film type camera is better) take some pics and claim for it off the local council.

Wheels and tyres are all ok.The pot hole wasnt big at all ,it just seemed to send the front end shaking all over the place.Whilst I was braking immediately after it happend the steering wheel was shaking and you could feel juddering through the brake pedal.Tbh it felt as though something was loose/worn on the front end.Thanks again.

if its wheel & tyre damage, then go back with camera and ruler (conventional film type camera is better) take some pics and claim for it off the local council.

I think this will only work if you can prove the council already knew about the pothole and failed to do anything about it. I'm not a lawyer though.

Shudder could be wear in pretty much anything steering related, or knackered front dampers. You're just going to have to work through checking everything until you find what it is - and bear in mind that a small amount of wear in several components can conspire together to create a very noticeable effect that is hard to trace to source.

Be wary of just shoving a new steering damper on without checking everything else out first - a good steering damper can mask other things that would be best dealt with properly.