axle restoration...

what is the usual way to finish off axles? i was considering powder-coating them, but then quickly decided against it as it would be nigh on impossible to touch them up when they get scraped (probably v quickly). so is it going to be a case of red oxide primer followed by black paint? what about galvanising? thoughts appreciated... ;)

I'm intending to get my axles cases grit-blasted and then zinc sprayed (along with just about every other chassis component). I chose to go down this route as we don't have any decent galvanisers in the south west... After this they will be powder coated. :) It took me bloody ages to make up all the necessary blanking plugs to make sure that no grit gets inside any of the cases though... :(

for the price of a set of axles its not really worth powder coating or galvanising them.shot blasting tends to put the blasting media every where and will find any thin metal.best bet is a wire wheel or similar followed by primer and top coat and even a coat of waxoyl on top.

for the price of a set of axles its not really worth powder coating or galvanising them.shot blasting tends to put the blasting media every where and will find any thin metal.best bet is a wire wheel or similar followed by primer and top coat and even a coat of waxoyl on top.

Do you happen to know what the price of a set of axles cases is? I tried wire brushing mine, but just couldn't get them anywhere clean enough for my tastes. This is why I spent hours and hours machining up ally bungs (complete with 'O' ring seals) and various other devices to ensure that none of the blasting media finds its way inside the cases (or the hubs, etc.). I will, of course, also treat the entire chassis to a thorough Waxoyling afterwards!

Do you happen to know what the price of a set of axles cases is? I tried wire brushing mine, but just couldn't get them anywhere clean enough for my tastes. This is why I spent hours and hours machining up ally bungs (complete with 'O' ring seals) and various other devices to ensure that none of the blasting media finds its way inside the cases (or the hubs, etc.). I will, of course, also treat the entire chassis to a thorough Waxoyling afterwards!

Hi Paddy,

Just go down the route of shot blasting, the company that done mine were a trailer refurb place and primed them at the same time. Cost = £25 each

With regard to sealing off the axle casings you don't have to go too overboard. I removed the stub axles on the rear, stuffed a couple of ripped up towels inside the casing legs and then manufactured and fitted 3/4" plywood blanks on the ends (use an old gasket as a template) and then fitted the original bolts with repair washers (oversized flat washers) then horsed up the bolts. I then up ended the casings to get the rags impregnated with oil to stop any chance of getting shot into the casings for good measure.

Front axle was the same but took the swivel housings off and blanked the axle casings.

With the axle breathers I wrapped a few layers of towel then electrical tape and done the same with the drive flanges on the diffs to stop any shot getting in.

When I got my axles back I was amazed at the finish, you can even read the teeped numbers on the diffs and axles (if not rusted through) which I recorded for future reference.

I have had three axles done as described above and although the ply took a battering I have had no penetration of shot in any of them.

If you get the axles back unprimed a good coating of Galvafroid will keep the rust at bay (heavy zinc content paint).

I have sealed my axles off with Hammerite on top of the primer but it chips really easily. I asked about this before and some people recommended schutz or waxoyle.

I will go down the route of applying a soft finish on top (probably schutz) once the chassis and axles are all in place to prevent chipping.

The one thing to note is if your diff pans are a bit flaky the shot blasting will let you know!

If you are really conderned then you could always remove the diff and blank the hole up as described above.

let me know how you get on.

All the best :)

Grant

dpends on where you get them from but scrap discos can be had for £300 sell of rest of bits hey presto free axles refurb them off car and then simply swap over.i can agree about the quality wire wire brush or similar paint rust removal.if as you say you made bungs up or have sealed the axles as above then blasting is great and cheap.we also have used acid dipping which works great but isnt cheap.

happy painting and post some shots of them if you get time