air jack/bag

disco tony

I bought one about 30 years ago but found there were very few locations under my series Landy aside from under the fuel tank (not recommended) that had a broad enough surface area free of sharpish projections that risked puncturing the bag. I never actually successfully used it, and one day whilst assisting a normal saloon car owner change a flat tyre the inflating hose fried due to the hot exhaust from that vehicles retarded ignition. The Vacuum advance unit on his distributor had seized in the retard position.

Bill.

I've got one, only used it 3 times in the last 10 years, but it works well, last use was to lift the front end of a 7.5tonne truck that had sunk in soft grass, had a hi-lift on the left front wheel & the bag under the chassis rail, as we lifted we filled the hole with wooden blocks, did the same to the right side & then towed in out backwards to hard ground, the trucks owner was very impressed.

clicky link to the item mention above exhaust driven airbag :D

Happy christmas all.

I bought a second hand one and found two possible problems, first the cone that goes over the exhuast did not fit very well and second the open shut valve was dried out and not flat anymore which made it leak.

Apart from that it was great on soft ground where a Hi-Lift would sink.

I have the Takla 3 ton version, and used it a lot on Morocco with my 2a. It was great for lifting the vehicle out of the sand, and getting tracks under the wheels. I punctured it on the chassis once, but fixed it with a patch super glued on.

I also use it on my Discovery 3, which is no good with High Lift jack. I can swap all 4 wheels in 20 minutes. The only problem with the D3 is that it has twin linked exhausts, so you need a good bung in one of the tail pipes. Its great watching the Takla lift both wheels on one side of the D3 to chest height in about 30 seconds!

Its also much lighter than a High Lift, and easier to mount (bungee straps attach it to the spare wheel in the back)

Its a bit messy to use though, exhaust soot goes everywhere when you disconnect.

"exhaust soot goes everywhere when you disconnect.".

The trick I was taught to use is to just very slightly lift the pipe end of the cone, so the only place the cone isn't sealing is the 6 o'clock position. The soot is forced down and forwards, away from you, then the pressure is released and you can fully remove the cone.

Good to hear someone using them successfully.

I think they are like a highlift in some respects; it pays to practice and experiment with them, to find what works best and what doesn't, in a non-stress position, rather than wait for a 'stuck'. I have a 24" square of carpet to go on top, and act as a sharp edge / hot surface protector, that doesn't create a high pressure point.

I will admit though, seeing a couple of tonnes balancing on a jelly is a bit daunting!!

Cheers.

Yes the 6 o'clock trick works on the 2a, which has an easily reached exhaust outlet which is straight out the back.

The D3 has 90 degree bent downwards tailpipes, which are not to easy to reach, and because of the weight of the vehicle needs a good hard shove to keep the pressure in. Its hard to avoid a rather large soot explosion when you remove the pipe!